Separation from an old clingy one??!!

SamuelWhiskers

Visit site
Hi, firstly hello everyone, i feel like the new girl?? Have been reading all your post for weeks, buy work computer bans replying....Frustrating!
mad.gif

Just wanted your advice on separation please, have my old pony (29) who although has spent time on his own in the past...hates it!! Now have new horse (3 months ago) and they have pair bonded, to the point that the whinnying and stress when they are apart is awlful and restricting me riding them both now...which is ridiculous!

Be great to hear from you... x

cazzaroogie

Visit site
Hi

I had similare problem in end all of mine are turned out on their own it is a lot easier. You could try leaving one in its stable while you ride etc, also bring one in from the field leave the other out for 5mins at first then gradualy increase time. The first time the one out will of course create but if you perserve it may help. As I say i end I found individual turnout only option. They are next to each other so can touch etc but dont get to bonded. Hope this helps
smile.gif

Rosyryan

Visit site
is it possible for you to seperate them at all, but where they can still see each other? And then increase the amount of time they are apart per day? I don't think there is going to be a quick fix for this, only other thing is would it be possible for you to borrow a 3rd horse/pony and then alternate turn-out time with 3rd horse/pony? Or turn each 1 out on own for say 1 hour per day increasing slowly over a few weeks, but still leave other 1in but in sight, this worked for our old pony and new flirty mare.

Salcey

Visit site
Hello,
My mare and gelding had bonded really closely and I was in a similar situation to yourself its sorted now but it took a while.
I started off by tying both up so they could see each other, and each day after just moved them slightly until finally they were not in sight of one another (although only about 3 metres apart.) When they were both happy with this I would leave one in the stable (with plenty of hay) and lead the other away, but only for a couple of minutes and then return. Then we gradually lengthed the time the other horse stayed away.
I always had someone stay with the horse that was left so they had reassuarance and could keep an eye on things.
I can now happily hack out for 2-3 hours and the gelding only calls when we leave and then when he hears us return.
I haven't quite sorted it out the other way round (leaving the mare behind) but am working on it in the same way.
We are still working on leaving one in the field and taking the other away, but with the fields so wet, that will have to wait until spring.

I hope this is of some help

SamuelWhiskers

Visit site
Thank you very much for all your help, i do have two adjoining paddocks so could they could be seperated and still see each other (if i get the overgrown hedge cut down a bit!) Also will try the leading away and keep lengthening the time, I must admit have started to try do this a little just by keeping the old one in his stable, before they are turned out in the morning, head collar on and waiting till the youngster has gone off the yard, he does jiffle, but will persevere, as want to hack them out individually and in the spring they will have different events they will be going to!

Thanks again!