Serial Fence Buster, help!

Melody Grey

Visit site
So.....New horse is currently doing an escape a day through our electric fence. ?‍♀

Any suggestions on how I can stop him?

tried; two strands of tape, double fencing, upping the output on the energiser.

has anyone tried sewing electric tape on to a rug? Using a deer energiser? Any other suggestions?

I think he’s going through or ducking under rather than over.

scruffyponies

Visit site
Take his rug off if he has one - it protects him from the zap.
More voltage, make sure it isn't earthing etc. etc.
Barbed wire fences if he doesn't respect electric.

buddylove

Visit site
I had a section a that would use his mane as an insulator, it's a bit mean but I cut short lengths of electric fence tape and tied it at intervals through his mane and forelock. I left it in for about 4/5 days, and he didn't escape through the electric fence again!

Kizzy2004

Visit site
A sheep energiser is the most effective I’ve found for horse that steps through fencing it has the highest zap I’ve found bar mains. it worked for my notorious escapee mare until she learnt she could jump the fence to the point I put up 3 fence lines at 4 ft height and she jumped the lot as soon as I turned her out ( all 13.2 of her ). The only thing she will stay in is a solid fence, either post and rail or wire, I given up trying to section areas off.

Melody Grey

Visit site
I had a section a that would use his mane as an insulator, it's a bit mean but I cut short lengths of electric fence tape and tied it at intervals through his mane and forelock. I left it in for about 4/5 days, and he didn't escape through the electric fence again!
He’s currently hogged (not my choice!) but worth growing his mane out to try this alone!! ?

Nasicus

Visit site
? he’s a very portly 14hh coloured cob, so hats off to him if he’s rolling under!! ...but it would explain the mud!
My late mare was a 14hh chunk of cob with the backside of a cook, and she was regularly seen rolling under fences (if it were post and rail, usually after kicking the bottom rail to bits to make room!)

Boulty

Visit site
Different type of fencing may be your answer I'm afraid! Would you be able to replace with high tensile electric wire if wooden posts or rope (more zappy & less prone to strands breaking). If you can't do this then I'd replace any tape that looks even remotely damaged. Ideally you may need at least 3 strands, possibly 4. (You may get away with less on areas with a solid barrier behind but I think any less than 2 even in those areas is asking for trouble) If you don't already have tall posts then I'd advise them. Also check your earth goes deep enough (a few people have told me that if it's not far enough into ground it can affect how strong the zap is) & that there isn't any vegetation / anything else touching the fence anywhere that shouldn't be. You could also try a different energiser as mentioned already.

Some horses think electric tape is there to be ignored & it might be that you've ended up with one! (I appear to have done the same, tried various things including putting more posts in to help with tension & part clipping the pony but it wasn't my fence so couldn't go as far as replacing the whole lot & nor could I or the owner of the fence have afforded to as it ran a hell of a distance)... Luckily he WILL stay behind wire if turned on & well maintained & seems to be ok with solid fencing so there are options but we did have to move because of it)

meleeka

Visit site
You could just tie a bit of electric tape round the front of his rug so that it goes inside, behind the buckles and then a bow on the top of the buckles. A friend always does this as hers is clever enough to know when he’s rugged he can get through.
Do you know how he’s doing it? If not I think you need to find out as that would help you know what steps to take.