Seriously peed off at vets!

Equi

Visit site
In July I had two mares scanned. I paid by card at the clinic and my bank system t shows it was taken. A month later I get a letter asking me to pay - I ignored it thinking it was a receipt (I’m a bit dim that way) the next month I got another and so I phoned the clinic to say it was paid and showed them my bank statement on fb - they said ok that’s fine it will be sorted. Now I’ve got a letter with highlighter all over it saying it’s being referred to the debt collectors!

I’m so annoyed. This is not the first time this has happened either so I won’t be using that clinic again! I just hope tomorrow I can sort it because if any bloody debt collectors come to my door I’ll hit the effing roof.

only_me

Visit site
I'd go in and see them and show them a bank statement in person. Ask them to politely stop harassing you with the threat of debt collectors and to update their system as paid.
Which vets was it?

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
I've had the dentist trying to do the same with a filling I apparently owed for even though I paid at the time fortunately never got as far as them telling me they were referring it to the debt people. They brought it up at the next appointment I had, I was 99 percent sure I had paid but the tiny bit of doubt they placed led me to pay again. Went straight home dug out bank statement yep I had paid it for exactly the amount quoted.

I emailed the bank statement over and requested my money back they did actually accept it was their mistake (after a delay as they needed to wait for their finance person to be in ,) I emailed from work so I could add read receipt etc, they then tried saying I needed to go in to get my refund, dentist isn't overly close told them no it's their mistake so not convenient for me they need to refund it onto my card which eventually they advised they could do!!

I'd also be offended by the highlighted bits however have you ever told them you have paid it and sent a copy of your bank statement to prove it? I'd send one via email with a read receipt. Also ask that they send you an email or letter confirming you have paid then you have this to show them should they try again.

Equi

Visit site
I’ll be callin them tomorrow but I sent it on fb messenger and that shows read and they replied saying they will sort it so I have proof they knew. I didn’t think to ask for it back but that doesn’t matter much I just want the stress away. I’m not paying the surcharge tho!!

southerncomfort

Visit site
I had the same thing happen to me. The office staff were incredibly rude to me when I called to try and resolve it and made me feel like a liar even though I had the proof (bank statement) in my hand!

I made a complaint and was brushed off by the senior partner who insisted that the member of staff had apologised to me for the mistake (she absolutely never did!).

I was very happy to relocate and register with a new vets practice!

paddy555

Visit site
I always think of the "C" word in these situations. Compensation. I would send them evidence you have paid, point out the times they have hassled you and their unfortunate action of referring to a debt collector. Point out the waste of your time in having to deal with their error and ask for compensation to take into account your time and the distress it has caused you.

conkers

Visit site
Make sure that they update your credit rating when you speak to them. If they have referred you to a debt collection agency then there is a good chance that they have placed a default on your credit record.

Equi

Visit site
Ok I’ll be speaking to them about that on Thursday. Called this morning and they looked through the card payments and confirmed it was 100% paid (no shit!) but no one has authority to do anything about it until Thursday. I’m still very annoyed but not sure what to say re compensation or what I would actually be entitled to. It’s only a £48 bill nothing mega.