setting up a riding school

stolen_fairydust

New User
Visit site
I am a BHSAI interested in setting up a small scale riding school with less than 5 horses. I have a premises to use which already has public liability insurance cover. What kind of insurance do I need to take out to teach, and how do I go about applying for a licence? What other things do I need to consider? Any advice would be gratefully received :)

rachel_s

Visit site
Don't know anything about setting up a riding school but can't see how you will make a profit/living on five horses (especially if one gets injured/sick).

PonyIAmNotFood

Visit site
Im another who can't see you making money off five horses, you would be unlikely to be able to do group lessons, and private lessons wouldn't appear to be where the money lies.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Well everyone has to start somewhere. A local riding school is run pretty well. They have a small indoor school. Lessons are NEVER outside. All the ponies are unshod. There are about 3 1 hour lessons every evening Monday to Friday. First half of the lesson is riding tuition, the second half is games or jumping - depending on the skill of the riders of course.
The children get certificates as they progress and many of them go to the school for years and get quite good. The ponies aren't always angels, and I think it must be run profitably as it has been going for years.

The owners take their own horses to shows at the weekends.