Sh*t... on top of everything - lame!

Gingernags

Visit site
I need peoples thinking caps on. The beast of great gingerness is a very rare thing, she just doesn't go lame, once as a 2 yr old, major abscess, once from slipping into a jump. Both v short term. In 14 years I'm guessing thats pretty good going!

Took her to our old yard last night to do some schooling in the indoor. Nothng in walk, tracking up nicely, moving freely. Up to trot, Clockwise (right rein?) fine, not a bother.

Put her on the left rein - lame. A nod every few strides, most noticable on corners. Tried to work through it and loosen her up, not lame in canter but S said didn't feel right. I got her to give her a gallop, stretch her out, not too bad but then it came back.

Looked like she wasn't bending, seemed short to me on off hind coming round the corner, but nodded on putting front foot down.

IF S really held her together and made her bend, she was actually OK, but if she relaxed slightly, the every few strides hop came back.

Its not really, really obviously lame, but it IS lame.

Ideas?

Can't find any heat or swelling. Once we got her home and trotted her up, you can just see it on a hard surface but not as much.

Does this ring any bells with anyone? I don't think its feet as it would have been worse on hard surface and wouldn't be just one rein and only in trot on mainly corners and circles?

Please suggest things and tell me its nothing and will magically be gone by Tuesday? Please????

Weezy

Visit site
Maybe a tight muscle somewhere? I would get a physio out to give her a check over - hopefully she has simply tweaked something and was a bit sore last night and it will resolve itself - I am really feeling for you over all of this J (((hugs)))

jacks_mum

Visit site
the only thing that comes to my mind I hate to even suggest and that is Navicular, those are the symptoms my Trooper first showed.

Having said that I think it much more likely that with the hard ground we have she has just knocked or jarred herself and will be just fine by Tuesday.

jacks_mum

Visit site
sorry if that wasn't very helpful.

I'm sure its just a knock and all will be fine. I wish you the best of luck on Tuesday and hope you win so you can flount it at that horrible little girl!!

KJJ

Visit site
Oh no poor gingerness and poor you J
frown.gif

I'd say the same thing as Lou, get the physio out - see if she can find anything...

She may have a minor but deep muscle spasm when making a specific movement i.e the corners/turns etc.

Hugs to you hun xxx

Snowberry

Visit site
Bloody hell, it never rains but it pours!!
mad.gif
mad.gif

Glen has never, ever been lame (he's now 23) but he got a kick in the field a couple of months ago and got over it but is doing exactly what you described now.
You wouldnt notice he was lame unless you really look for it and its only on one rein - vet came out and said his was the start of arthritis and gave him some bute.
Fingers crossed the ginger one is just having an off day!!

Gingernags

Visit site
We've had bucket loads of rain so she *could* have slipped. It seems more soft tissue I'm thinking than feet.

Her feet are doing really well, farrier was only here a week ago, have spotted a navicular case in a horse I rode before so really don't think its that.

She was schooled on Monday on grass *gnashes teeth* went beautifully! Lunged in a loose pessoa on tuesday on 1st level, for about 10 mins, was hacked out by sister on Wednesday for a good bounce about - was totally fine, absolutely full of it!

Then last night - just wrong.

Might see if I can get a physio, good idea. I think I'll see how she is tonight. Am so annoyed, she's jumped some massive courses this summer, but we've only done here and there as the ground has been so hard, and her legs have been fantastic, so this is a real bolt from the blue.

Last time she jumped, Cleveland show on grass, she did a double clear intermediate, clear and 4 faults in the jump off for the open, about 3 weeks ago, then a lesson on sand the week after. Nothing strenuous since then, just keeping her ticking over.

miamibear

Visit site
I would get it checked out, Bailey was lame on turns not straight lines and was worse in walk than trot. Turned out to be arthritis of coffin bone. It would suggest to me something going on insude the foot but get it checked out by the physio first.

Good vibes coming that its only a pulled muscle and can be put right easy

Beanyowner

Visit site
Like weez said...I'd get a physio to give a once over massage.
However, most lamnesses are found to be in the lower limb so work out which leg the horse is lame on and poultice it and see if anything comes out.
Failing that...see if there is any bruising in the hoof sole or perhaps get the farrier to whip the shoe off and see if there is any bruising underneath the shoe.

siennamum

Visit site
Does sound very much like a wrench or tweak to me. Hopefully nothing to worry about. Fingers crossed for you. You had better party big time at the champs whatever else happens....
grin.gif

Greyhound

Visit site
Maybe if you have used the pessoa, and she has been a little on sided the pessoa may have worked her one sided side a little more than it is used to. Maybe that is why?

I would echo other comments about the physio.

Hope the matter resolves itself soon.

Gh

Gingernags

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
You had better party big time at the champs whatever else happens....
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well we figure if poor Asti can't go, she can stay and rest, we'll take the trailer and fill it with booze and food and have a 4 day party instead! Well, it takes 2 x 17.2 so PLENTY of room for beer!

grin.gif

Sparklet

Visit site
If there is not swelling/heat elsewhere her feet seem to be the most obvious culprit if she was shod a week ago. It is really easy for the farrier to drive a nail into the sensitive bit and it would take a few days to appear. It may be worth asking your farrier to pop back and re-fit that foot to see if she is still lame.

I dont think physio's work on lame horses unless they have had a vet referral. They are too scared to do further damage so you may find one wont come out.

so03

Visit site
My boy did exactly the same. Got osteo out and he'd hurt his shoulder. After a nice session he was fine again.

Other thing that strikes me is that as you have only just had the farrier out, could a nail be pinching slightly? I would have thought it would show in other gaits but you never know with horses do you.

Hope she gets better soon.

Gingernags

Visit site
Have to point out, one of the women at the yard we went to, who knows Asti very well says she looked bridle lame... it does make sense if you read this...

"By the end of the clinic this was no longer a concern. First, Ray was able to pick up on the "bridle" lameness of my horse, Prompt. This is a type of mechanical gait problem caused by him being "crooked" in the bridle. As he leans on the bridle, one side is heavier than the other, which led me to pull more on that side. That "pull" can cause the horse to feel that he is trapped, or has no place to go. As a result, either the front leg on that side or the diagonal hind leg is not used as much as the other, which makes the horse limp. Ray taught me how to avoid this by getting him to work straight in the bridle through the proper use of my legs. Now, Prompt never looks lame at a show. "

And the previous brat was guilty of this...

"Bridle lameness often happens because a rider will use pressure on the reins as a timer with the stride."--Hilary Clayton

I'm wondering if a combination of the way Asti now leans her head (Courtesy of brat) plus pessoa lunging, and a different rider asking her to work correctly - could cause this?

MrsMagoo

Visit site
hmm does sound like it could be somthing like that...I mean they do change with different riders etc and maybe the 'brat' didnt ride that well after all
smile.gif

Hope she gets better soon and you can make it to champs. x

Gingernags

Visit site
It just rings bells, she DOES carry her head to one side now from R's moving hands, she WAS short on the outside hind and nodding intermittently on diagonal front, and once S really, really pushed her, it went...

See the woman who mentioned it is on the same yard as R (evil child) and knows she does it and that her horse does it too. S has noticed it and mentioned it and agrees it seems likely!

If its that, fine - jobs a good un and we're going, if not, back to the physio route I guess!