Shagya mare goes cc training

Rollin

Visit site
Sorry I no longer use photo bucket, so if you want to see video you will have to look on our FB site.

This mare already has had two good seasons SJ, qualifying for the National Young Horse Championships last year. She currently jumps Amateur Grand Prix 1.10M and has had good results this year too. Cecile who competes her had a fall from her own horse a week ago and could not participate in this long planned training session, so an English friend who jumps our Cleveland Bay rode her instead. (Under the complicated French rules my friend cannot compete in GP classes because she only has a Club licence).

A few weeks ago we took Antigone to a neighbour's yard for his advice on her training. Antigone is very strong, gets excited in competition pulls and throws her head. This neighbour was an Olympic Eventer, although Dressage was his first love, his sister competed at another Olympic Games on the French Dressage team. He has agreed to train Antigone and his partner who is a 3* eventer will compete her. This week he rode Antigone himself and already I notice the difference when I ride her at home. When his partner is away competing he will ride Antigone. She will have 3 sessions a week with him. As his yard is just 10mins away so very convenient. He is not the trainer on this video as this session was planned some time ago.

In the video there are two sequences of her jumping twice. First time jumping out of water, she hesitates and then jumps from a standstill. Antigone has NEVER refused in three season of jumping. Last small jump she throws her head, trainer tell rider to give her more freedom and she jumps it beautifully. The height is nothing for her as she is already capable of jumping 1.15M with ease - it is just the different experience.

Sorry again there are no photos but I know some of you look in on the RaceRare FB page.

be positive

Visit site
I look forward to following her eventing career, she is not going to be an easy ride with her inclination to throw her head up but once she learns that is is ok to drop it and trust the rider, which she will do in time, she is going to be super as she has the ability and scope to go far, coupled with the bravery an event horse needs, it sounds an ideal opportunity with the new team being so close to you.

Rollin

Visit site
I look forward to following her eventing career, she is not going to be an easy ride with her inclination to throw her head up but once she learns that is is ok to drop it and trust the rider, which she will do in time, she is going to be super as she has the ability and scope to go far, coupled with the bravery an event horse needs, it sounds an ideal opportunity with the new team being so close to you.

Thank you. What has made me most happy is that he immediately said reduce the brakes!! Two sessions in a softer bit, rider said this was too soft. This week he rode her in a copper French link. He says she needs more work to strengthen her back, her brother was the same. I am so pleased after pro rider put her in draw reins, a gag, pelham, tight flash. Her new rider said how much Antigone enjoys her work, which is very positive.

You say she needs confidence in the rider, the rider also needs to have the confidence and courage to let her go. I am hoping we will get her out to a Preperatoire one day before winter. This is 1M show jumps + cross country but no dressage.

cundlegreen

Visit site
Nice for her to have a play at something else. At her age, she doesn't want restricting too much. The XC will allow her to stretch out and enjoy herself. My little mare chucks her head when SJing, she just wants to get on with it, and doesn't like to be adjusted into a fence. Maybe a sensitive girly thing...

Rollin

Visit site
Nice for her to have a play at something else. At her age, she doesn't want restricting too much. The XC will allow her to stretch out and enjoy herself. My little mare chucks her head when SJing, she just wants to get on with it, and doesn't like to be adjusted into a fence. Maybe a sensitive girly thing...

Interesting you say that. I watched the European SJ element of the eventing and exactly that with one good mare, strong and a tendency to throw her head.It is just as you say she loves jumping, let me at it.