Shared stable bedding ideas?

tankgirl1

Visit site
Hi, my 14hh cob and shetty share a stable at night over winter. Because there is two of them they obviously move around quite a lot, and the bed is always minging!

The last 2 winters I have deep littered on straw, but considering trying something else this coming winter as it a pain to muck out daily when it is all trampled into the straw, and an even bigger pain to dig out come spring/summer!

Looking for ideas for an economical bedding that will cope with the pair of them :)

Thanks

holeymoley

Visit site
No too sure as I wreckon anything would get trampled in, but maybe wood pellets? I think they're a lot easier to Muck out than straw/shavings.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Shared beds are always piggish. I have mine on chopped rape at the moment as it's easy to get hold of, but it's not overly cheap and is always grim to muck out. In the winter, I give up and separate them and use straw or chopped rape type stuff, but if I have to stable for short periods in summer, I'd rather they shared as they seem to prefer it :rolleyes3:

pippixox

Visit site
Mine come into a section of a barn- often 3 in together: they are more chilled in the hot summer burner messier in the winter (in longer too). I actually got a load of wood chip off the tree surgeons next to us. It’s not ideal as now it is in need of replacing but it’s too heavy for me to dig out as compacted over time. As a big bed. But a few wheel barrows worth would form a heavy base in your stable. Then I top with straw. So I can deep lifter the wet