Sharer for a non ridden youngster. Could you? Would you?

Kallibear

Visit site
I've got a nice 3.5 yr old ISH. Who is bored bored bored.

He's lightly broken and was going for short walks good few times a week after work but the short daylight has put pay to that. In the last two weeks I've seen him in the daylight once :( He lives out 24/7 with my old cob mare who, although kind and tolerant of him, is also boring boring boring. Despite many pleas and Letters to Santa I'm afraid Roo is not getting another youngster in his Xmas stocking to play with (would love to but can't afford it).

I was thinking of getting a sharer to entertain him a couple of times a week in the daylight, when I can't. He loves doing ANTHING. In hand walks, long reining, ground work, even just a groom and a cuddle. I have no facilities (or lights) so it would need to be during the day.

So, would someone be interested in playing with a youngster? There would be no cost but also no riding (although maybe next year for someone suitably competent).

And would you? He is big, athletic and occasionally excitable. And a sensitive, responsive and very bright little cookie. He is however extremely polite, very well trained and mannered and so so desperately desperate to please. I've shared my horses before and not in the least precious about them but they've been older stoic sensible cobs.

Had anyone had sharers for their non ridden youngster before? How did it work out?

Elvis

Visit site
You might find someone but I'd think most people who would want to just do groundwork with a horse wouldn't be overly experienced. Then would you want someone like that to be in charge of handling your youngster without you there? Unless he's very settled in his groundwork I wouldn't risk it. Sorry I can't give you a more helpful answer.

WelshD

Visit site
I have someone who comes and walks one of my youngsters out, she loves spending time just grooming him etc

I wouldnt however expect her to become a paying sharer

If there was no financial requirement I would say you'll find someone easily, whether they are able to handle a youngster and are dediacted enough to be consistent would be another matter

wish upon a star

Visit site
Hi :) I've shared two yearlings before, really enjoyed it and also learnt a lot. I would love to have an arrangement like yours as it's just the time spent with the horses that I enjoy and also really miss whilst I'm at uni so hopefully you and Roo would be able to find someone like me who would be more than happy to do the jobs and spend ages grooming and entertaining him!