Sharer vs paying someone to ride your horse?

0ldmare

Visit site
Disappointingly the friend who was going to be riding one of my 2 horses is now not showing any enthusiasm. I am so stuffed on time that neither horse is getting much work and I am thinking of looking for someone to either share or just pay someone to come and school/hack one of them out. What do you think? Any suggestions where best to find someone? (Dont suggest selling one, I couldnt!)

airedale

Visit site
If you can find someone reliable that does actually improve horses then I'd go for paying someone to train the one you want to compete the most. That way you can benefit and also hopefully as they are being paid they will be reliable.

However be careful as paying a trainer to school a horse means the horse should be schooled. That could mean you end up hacking it to give it variety in it's work.

0ldmare

Visit site
I see your point, probably paying someone would be best. The hard part is knowing where to look for someone, I think.

evsj

Visit site
Can you ask an instructor/friend. word of mouth has to be the best route, don't necessarily look at adverts. i once paid a 'professional' groom to feed and sort out my horse for one day over a weekend.
i got back the following day that my horse had not been fed, hayed, watered or even turned out of her stable for 36 hours. the girls excuse was that her parents wouldn't give her a lift to the yard that day and she couldn't dirve herself. I would never now pay to get someone in without a recommendation.

airedale

Visit site
I advertised my novice WH/SHP (novice as in needs bringing on but all the jump schooling has been done) for loan in nag and dog and got not one reply - even though I said could move to 30 mile radius.

finding reliable loaners seems to be luckier by friends of friends - just found one who is a neighbour of a friend of mine for one of mine..