Sharers, how much do you ask as a contribution?

flintmeg

Visit site
I need to find a sharer and I really don't know how much owners ask as a contribution. They will get to ride 3/4 a week over the weekdays. For those who do share how much do you ask ? :S

flintmeg

Visit site
The weekend will be the only time I can ride due to work and the ever darkening evenings :(. No yard duties as I will do stables in the morning when I turn them out before work. I'm happy if the sharer wants to take him hunting or to any mid week events too.

flintmeg

Visit site
Thank you. I was thinking along those lines but really wasn't sure. I looked on websites for sharers and people were asking so much more :O

NellRosk

Visit site
You could maybe ask a bit more then, especially as they don't have to do any yard duties. Try it for a slightly higher price and if you have no interest drop it :)

sandi_84

Visit site
I think around £20-£25 is about the going average dependent on the area you live in and how much work the sharer will be doing.

I only asked for £10pw for a 2 day share on mine - tbh would have waived monetary contribution but was advised I'd end up wading through a load of joy riders and people who wouldn't take it seriously - because I needed someone to check over, poo pick, hay and rug for 3 horses even though only one is mine which is a lot for someone just wanting to share one horse :/ But in return my sharer had free rein to do pretty much anything they wanted whether it be happy hacking, schooling, jumping, beach rides or competitions or something else, all they had to do was check before going to do an event/fun ride type thing if it involved travel as I would probably have had to sort out extra insurance for it :) I pay for all insurance costs, vet bills, worming etc etc with their contribution going towards them.

flintmeg

Visit site
I have good hacking, and there are always mid week events going on. 90% of the time over the week they can do what ever they feel like I have access to a very nice school and a jumping field, loads of people to hack out with too. He is fully insured so would have to check my insurance. They will literally get a horse to ride who is sane and sensible and will do pretty much anything. There will be a odd week where I might take him hunting if I can get the day off during the week when they are in my village, but then if I have to work they can take him. He will jump anything and is well mannered.

sandi_84

Visit site
Oh things like tack will be if they break it they will have to replace, same quality too.

You can get a sharer's agreement from the BHS website if you need one, I just used the loan agreement and changed "loan" to say "share" throughout :)
I also had my sharer's take out rider's insurance too even though my lad is mr sensible, it turned out to be the right thing to do as my most recent sharer took a tumble a couple of weeks ago and took a week off work :(

flintmeg

Visit site
Oh that's really helpful thank you. I was just going to type on up. But will loo kong the bhs site. Will make sure the sharer has insurance. Like you said you never know. I hope they were ok!

sandi_84

Visit site
No problem, it was suggested to me by fellow HHO'ers and it made the agreement really easy to write up :)
Aye she was fine, a bit sore and a few bruises but luckily no breaks!

Embo

Visit site
I waive the contribution for my sharer provided she has a lesson every week. However, I do also ask for a small contribution towards his shoes. This works out mutually beneficial for both of us - she gets to share a decent horse for the price of a lesson & improves her riding. I get a couple of days off and my horse is learning.

Win-win :)

Usually the going rate round here is £10 per day for a horse on DIY. But a good way to calculate a fair cost is to work out what you spend on your horse each month - livery, hay, feed, bedding etc. Then work out the daily cost and base your figure around this.

flintmeg

Visit site
I had always planned to get a written agreement, I heard stories how badly sharing can work out so want it to be a clear as possible so they know where they stand. That's good :) it's never nice hitting the deck lol.

Wheels

Visit site
It kind of sounds to me that you are really wanting a 'rider' rather than a sharer and I think you may be limiting your market if the sharer can only ride during the weekdays. Afterall weekends are really the best time for most of us to ride, you may be expecting too much for someone to come and exercise your horse and expect them to pay :)

Skib

sites.google.com
I am retired - so have always ridden midweek, and my mid week share was just what I needed. It makes perfect sense if the owner is working. I hope you find someone!

mandwhy

Visit site
I don't think that is true at all Wheels. I am a student and when I used to share I did two days in the week when I had time in the day. I only paid 15 a week as the horse lived out, but she was sensible and fun and the hacking was really nice (I miss it!). I did ride weekends on occasion with the owner as she had another horse, but that was just a bonus. Most students can't afford much more than that so it was ideal.

Now I have my own horse I actually often miss out on riding at the weekend as I am doing other things! Sometimes I think a sharer would be nice from a financial point of view but I would end up wanting to ride the same days and probably get jealous or something!