Sharers who can do BSJA

starsky

Visit site
Hi, Just a general query about sharers really. I want a sharer for my horse, but I want one who is competent enough to compete him at BSJA (as I'm not!) Does anybody have any experience as to where I can find a sharer like this? I want them to contribute a small part financially, but am flexible on days, terms etc and they can compete him whenever they want. All the sharers I have seen previously have been people who want to hack at weekends (don't shout at me, I'm not stereotyping, they're just the ones I've seen!) and I want someone who is confident to BSJA. Or do all those sorts of people have their own horses? Any advice/help appreciated.

Rambo

Visit site
I'm sure a carefully placed advert here or there would find a few ! There's plenty of people out there who would love to do that I reckon
smile.gif
How about putting the word around at your local BSJA show centres ?

Tempi

Visit site
put up adverts at local BSJA show places on thier notice boards and up in your local feed merchants and tack places. Im sure you will find someone easily enough.

Im lucky in that Bloss's sharer was already at my yard so i knew her and knew how capable she was and that they would both be suitable for each other.

Only thing id say is set up a trial period of say a month just in case you decide you arent happy with the person you choose.

airedale

Visit site
I've been trying in surrey to find exactly that person for 6 months with no luck - and I'm not asking for any financial contribution other than paying their own transport and entries !!

ihatework

Visit site
Ditto P_G's advise, there's bound to be someone out there, just takes a bit of finding!!
I did a share agreement this summer and competed a horse BD for it's owner, worked well from both sides, my horse was injured and couldn't compete but I couldn't afford to buy and run another on my own.
Where in Surrey are you?

PaddyMonty

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I've been trying in surrey to find exactly that person for 6 months with no luck - and I'm not asking for any financial contribution other than paying their own transport and entries !!

[/ QUOTE ]

Shame you're not in Northampton. i would love a second horse to compete. Seems such a waste of a day just competing one.
frown.gif

airedale

Visit site
It's so frustrating seeing the horse standing there vaguely bored with just hacking - when she's in the school and there's a jump up she's trying to take the only kid I can get to exercise her into the fences as she just loves jumping. Kid is too tiny though to compete her as she's a novice.

Thought I'd found someone last weekend but they've ummed and aaahed and pratted around - think it's to do with the fact that she's 14.1 and not a horse - anti-pony snobbery

Rambo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Thought I'd found someone last weekend but they've ummed and aaahed and pratted around - think it's to do with the fact that she's 14.1 and not a horse - anti-pony snobbery

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry. I misunderstood your first post as you said horse. If it's a pony, how about going to your local Pony Club and seeing if anyone there wants to compete him for you ? You are slightly more limited with a pony I guess as there will be less established BSJA riders in the 14 to 16 age bracket than if you were looking at placing a horse
tongue.gif

UKa

community.webshots.com
I once had a really competent sharer who was a really good, advanced and confident rider (more so than me probably)- she was over here from New Zealand for a limited period of time and wanted to keep up her riding; so yes, those sharers do exist, but you may need to take time to find them ...?

airedale

Visit site
wouldn't let anything that I see at our local pony club near any of my horses certainly not unaccompanied

ironically I'll probably end up finding someone to do dressage with her as there isn't any age restriction on competing on ponies in dressage - unlike the stuck up BSJA. she'd also do pony eventing with some more training.

I even advertised her in nag and dog and got not one call - free horse - no stables duties required - and still nothing

I do sometimes wonder if it's a case of 'fool and money soon parted' taking a bit from the watchdog thread - people more prepared to spend thousands on c**p horses from a dodgy dealer than get a nice cheap share of a safe sensible animal

ihatework

Visit site
What a shame, it sounds as though you are making sweeping generalised statements about all PC riders. I would bet money there is at least one talented little rider that doesn't have the parental funding or support to be able to have a decent genuine pony, and would work their socks off on yours.
Unfortunately I get the general impression that you'd be a difficult person to ride for (and apologies if I have the wrong impression of you) and this could be a reason that you have had little interest.
Unfortunately there are very few adults of the calibre you seem to want that are a) small and light enough to ride a pony and b) want to ride a pony.
I would personally urge to to give a kid a chance, by all means surpervise or specify lessons etc. But it's your pony and I wish you every luck in finding the right rider.

starsky

Visit site
Good idea, I will put an ad up down there. In fact I think they've got some BSJA there through the winter so probably a good time to adverise down there.

Scarlett

Visit site
hiya - I am just outside Worplesdon in Ash, I know of a couple of people who might be interested - I'll show them the thread...

Have you advertised in Rokers? I did when looking for a sharer for my 2 lads and got a good response and get a girl who is hoping to BSJA both of mine next year (but you cant have her!!!)

Next BSJA is 2nd Dec at Merrist Wood, I would go along and stick a big notice on the board.... also theres unaff on this Saturday - might be worth a try....?

airedale

Visit site
I'm actually quite involved with the local pony club and have 4 PC riders riding other ponies of mine quite happily - and they stay with me for years - however none of them is at the level of riding this (too small; too nervous; too big; own pony). So I get, by nannying these 4, to see a lot of the PC and round me there is a LOT of money so you've got the designer lorry; designer gear and designer pony to go with it. I've got a lot of the 'not much money' lot already and I spend so much time on them I only ride 2 hrs a week myself now.

However, you are right that I'd be difficult in that I won't have horses mauled about, jumpjumpjumped over practice fences and I don't put up with pushy parents - and I'm lucky that the parents of the 4 I have on the yard are all nice, sensible people (I even got complimented by one of the mothers that her daughter had so much more confidence after being with me for a year than she'd ever had before - dead chuffed with that)

Pony carries 9.5 stone easily and the two mums that have ridden her all rate her. She also jumped 3ft training with an adult for 3 months with no trouble at all. It's just the snobbery (and at local PC they want the kids onto horses before they are out of nappies tbh - 8 yr olds on 15.3 horse - seen regularly) of adults not wanting to ride ponies.

Her half brother had the same problem until I put him with a pro - she rode him and he beat Daniel Watson at Open Novice on one of his posh imported dressage machines and he was only 13.2. They stopped laughing at my little pony after that !!!!

This time though I'm rebuilding accommodation and haven't got the cash to spare to put her with a pro. However she's only 5 so there's time yet so I'll probably now happy hack her until my funds can run to a pro rider. The girl that was training her jumped grade A and she reckoned the mare was more reliable and honest then her own horse !!!

evsj

Visit site
Starsky, how I wish I was nearer Guildford still - I lived in Aldershot until last year and this winter my ned is resting following a tendon sprain. I have just had to lapse my BSJA membership as I don't have another to ride! Arrgghhh....

You will find someone soon - try advertising at Rokers as well as Merrist Wood.

Patchwork

Visit site
If you want somebody to BSJA your pony then they will need to be 16 or under to compete in juniors, otherwise he will be competing against horses over horse distances in seniors.

smile.gif