Sharing Dilemma - advice needed!

SecretAgentBilly

Visit site
Hi all,
I am having doubts about whether to keep sharing my current horse. She is lovely to ride, but the yard is awful and the people are not much better. The stables are in awful condition (think pieces held together with baler twine and falling apart gates as doors) and the 4 other people who ride regularly look down at me and talk about me. The mare I share is owned by the yo, who owns most of the other horses on the yard, apart from two who are owned by liveries. They are kept in 24/7 with very little hay, and some are native ponies and cobs unclipped with fleeces, duvets and rugs on and sweating. Although these don't seem like big issues to someone who doesn't own the horses, I can't help feeling sorry for them and it is ruining some of my time on the yard.
I have also been down twice to ride (I don't have set days, the yo said come whenever I like) and someone else is already riding her. Instead I had to ride a 18hh shire x, not my sort of ride especially as I am 5ft 4. I didn't expect this when I started and now I don't look forwards to going to the yard because I don't want to ride him. However it has an indoor school and excellent hacking, which are good points.
Someone I used to know has a pony at their (different) yard that needs exercising, I like the yard but it doesn't have an indoor school and the hacking isn't great. I feel like moving to ride that pony, but I really can't decide.
I can't help feeling like I am over reacting about the issues about my current share, I really need some advice from some horsey people on whether to stick at it or whether to move. Thanks, and sorry it is long!

DressageCob

Visit site
I'd be annoyed at not getting to ride "my own" horse. If you share that particular one you shouldn't have to fight off other people on you days :)

Plus I wouldn't be happy riding a horse if it wasn't being kept well, so nice stable, enough hay/feed, not over/under rugged etc.

I say move :)

SecretAgentBilly

Visit site
I went down again today and found I couldn't ride 'my' mare, so I had to ride the shire x again. The indoor school is only probably about 20 x 30m if that, and someone was having a jumping lesson so it was hard to do much, especially with a big horse. I think I'm definitely going to move, thanks for the advice, just wish I could take some of the horses with me! :rolleyes: