Sharing horses - legal question.....

Marnie

Visit site
I have a young horse who is backed and has been competing in local walk trot and prelim tests, showing classes and been jumping at home. My best friend who had her because I didn't have time or the experience (she is an AI, competed BE etc) broke her and rode her on for me. Unfortunately she has been posted abroad for three years with her husband. Originally I was going to sell the horse and when that didn't happen, decided to look into loaning her with possibility of sale. I found someone who was interested, and although I wasn't 100% convinced it was going to work, gave it a try, she was going to pay livery and shoes for 1 month with me paying everything else, and then if it was working, go to full loan with her paying everything. Unfortunately she had a fall yesterday, and although not really hurt, it concerned me about my liability. Has anyone come across any 'share agreements'? Has anyone any experience of my liability as an owner for someone riding my horse?

Sorry, this got a bit long!

Thanks if you made it this far!

brightmount

Visit site
We have sharers for both our horses, and I was once a sharer with someone else's horse. I have used the loan agreement template on the BHS website and customised it for our circumstances. You definitely should have something on paper. The BHS agreement absolves you of any responsibility for injury suffered by the sharer who is bound to accept the inherent risks of riding.

I hope you're still friends!
smile.gif

loobylu

Visit site
Hi. I shared several ponies beofre finally being able to afford a full loan. Just make sure she has third party liability and personal insurance- PC/ BHS? and most of the big inusrance brokers do rider only insurance. As the pabove poster mentioned a contract as such will not stand up in court but it will make clear what each person is responsible for and make it easier to resolve disputes.
smile.gif

brightmount

Visit site
When I checked with my insurers (Petplan) they told me that the third party liability cover on my policy for my horses would cover anyone riding with my permission.

The sharers just have to cover themselves for personal accident if they choose to do so.

Marnie

Visit site
Thanks for the responses - basically what I thought! My biggest concern was whether I could be held liable if my horse caused her injury when riding. Its a bit academic now, as we have decided not to continue the agreement, but just in case a similar situation arises, it is good to know!