Sharing opportunity - how does this sound to you?

Scarlett

Visit site
Basically I have 3 horses, all exracers, who are all very different. I enjoy riding all 3 but due to time constraints and OH working away a lot I'm struggling to keep all 3 in a decent level of work and get everything done each evening.

I've put up an advert advertising a share of all 3 - basically sharer would be able to pick which one to work with each day and there would be no limits on how many times he/she rode in a week & there would be the possibility to g to shows and clinics and do lots of fun stuff, but I'm having no luck at all finding anyone. A few replies have suggested they would rather share one horse in particular than all 3, but the only horse I would be willing to do that with would be my older boy who can't do quite as much as the younger two.

So, should I just bite the bullet and offer an individual share of one of them? Would I have more luck? Or keep advertising as I am and see if anyone comes along?

LeannePip

Visit site
I did something similar as a kid, but i guess most people who are looking for a share horse want that one on one relationship so i can understand where they may be coming from.

sharers seem pretty hard to ome by at the moment so i'd just keep advertsing atm, maybe put in your add that you may consider a full share of one horse?

kc100

Visit site
I did something similar as a kid, but i guess most people who are looking for a share horse want that one on one relationship so i can understand where they may be coming from.

sharers seem pretty hard to ome by at the moment so i'd just keep advertsing atm, maybe put in your add that you may consider a full share of one horse?

Agree with this - keep advertising all 3 but mention in your ad that you'd consider a share of one of the horses if the sharer preferred to do that.

I always say with share adverts often the advertisers leave out a lot of important info - owners think they've covered everything but often miss out what the sharer wants to know - so check your ad to make sure it covers the following:
1. Age / gelding or mare / height (for all 3)
2. PHOTOS! Of all 3 ideally, being ridden (sharers are not so fussed in seeing a cute pic of them laid down being cuddled by owners child etc)
3. Yard facilities - are there lights in the school (is there a school even!) so you can ride in the evenings during winter? Any hacking available? Etc.
4. Details of the share - how much will it cost? How many days per week do you want them to do? What are the chores that will be involved? What can and cant be done with each horse (i.e. does one of them have health issues that prevent jumping etc)
5. Details of each horse - what they enjoy and dont enjoy, whether they hack alone or in company, what you have been doing with them work wise and competition wise etc.

I'm sure you will find someone - make sure you have advertised on a few different sites; as a sharer I always used to look at Preloved, Facebook local horsey groups, equine adverts and horsemart. Browse preloved for the 'wanted' ads too, typically sharers who are struggling to find something will post a wanted ad with the type of horse they are after.

Keep in mind it is coming up to winter so not ideal sharer time, many of them go into hibernation so you might have to be patient! I know I would have jumped at a chance like that when I was a sharer a few months ago (bought a yearling instead because I got fed up of sharing people's problem horses and paying a fortune for the privilege!). Someone will come along, just be patient and eventually you'll find the right person.

sparky1981

Visit site
Put an ad on equine adverts website I was inundated when advertised my horse for share on there. Put him in the rider wanted bit and horses for loan section. I didn't ask for money though as I figured they were doing me a favour riding, mucking out etc :)

Scarlett

Visit site
Thanks folks - I'll maybe edit my advert a bit. I think possibly the fact that I'm quite flexible maybe makes me sound a bit vague! I'd just like some help getting them all worked and maybe some company occasionally, you know?

Cheers :)

SuperH

Visit site
I have two, I don't have a sharer as such but rather offered riding on both. I advertised for someone really to have someone to ride with and to go out and about with. The lady I have comes a couple of times a week, we go riding together (I let her choose which one she wishes to ride that day) and she also chooses which to groom/tack up. She does ride both but tends to choose one more than the other. I don't charge her, she pays any entry fees for herself if we go somewhere.

As you are flexible I would imagine this would be quite attractive to some people who can't commit to regular days etc that lots of shares (or part loans) seem to need. Ridden photos are always good, I've always had more replies to adverts with those on than ones without. Took me a while to find the current lady but she was worth holding out for.

WelshD

Visit site
If money is not a big issue maybe reword the advert?

A sharer may well want a horse to treat as their own amd form a bond with

Wheras an opportunity simply to ride with some chores thrown in may be more tempting to the right person

There are people out there that for one reason or another dont have a horse to ride despite being very good but by advertising for a sharer you may be making the situation a little 'fluffy' to some

Hope that makes sense - its late!

Char0901

Visit site
I agree with WelshD. Maybe reword the advert to say you're looking for a rider rather than a sharer. Obviously you would have to explain further when you meet them what you expect from them but at least then you might start getting the right people through the door so to speak.
I wanted a horse to ride but didn't want a share. I just wanted something to ride to keep my riding ticking over as I only have a yearling. It just so happens I've just moved to a new yard and a lady has asked me to exercise her semi retired dressage horse. She's told me to treat him as my own (no money exchanges hands or anything) and I don't have to do any chores but I usually do just to help out a bit seen as I'm there doing my yearling anyway.
Good luck!

Evie91

Visit site
I think that sounds like a great offer - good way to improve riding, riding three different horses- different talents, areas for improvement, great to have a choice :)