Sharing the riding - insurance.

amzy

Visit site
I have found someone who is interested in riding my horse as I don't have much time lately to ride myself, so just wondered what I should do about insurance for personal injury as my horse is only insured for third party, sudden death and theft. Would it be enough to have the rider sign something that says she rides at her own risk or would she need insurance? The horse will only be hacked and maybe a little schooled.
Thanks for your help.

SSM

Visit site
When I started riding a friends horse the first thing I did was take out riders insurance (I did use a dodgy 2 initialed company though!!) I felt that if I had an accident with her horse I wanted to be covered for such things as roadside veterinary attendance etc. I suggest they do the same thing too!

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
It doesn't really matter that your horse will 'only be hacked & schooled a little', the horse is still being riden.

Phone up your insurance company & ask them about it. They'll be able to tell you the best/cheapest way to cover your friend. My insurance covers any rider on my horse, although there are only ever two people who will ride him.
smile.gif

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Would this be the dodgy 2 initialled company that's leaflets fall out of every horse magasine you pick up? The one that can keep its premiums low because it never seems to pay out any claims?
ooo.gif
wink.gif

amzy

Visit site
Yes, he is insured for any rider under the third party but I have no personal injury on the insurance and would hate for this girl to have an accident and then try and sue me!! I'll give her a ring and suggest she gets insurance I think. What do you think though about signing something? Will that not be good enough?

butterfly f

Visit site
i think you should suggest that she gets her own personal accident insurance. and get her to sign something saying that you accept no responsibility and she rides at her own risk.
i work as a rep in the east midlands for the major personal accident insurance company in the uk. we insure most of the professional riders and loads of amateur riders and grooms. we dont advertise, we work via reps and are generally reknowned in the horse world for a very easy claims process that doesnt look for excuses not to pay out.
anyway, i got involved with the company cos i used to work as an event groom and i got kicked and broke my hand and i was so impressed with the company and their accident cover that i am now working for them.,
so if anyone wants details or information on personal accident cover as a rider then please feel free to PM me.
xxx

wanderersmelody

Visit site
I know this is a lte reply but I have a sharer and went into all of it. If you have personsal accident on your policy then they are covered under your policy provided they have your permission to ride the horse (which I'm assuming they do). But I also insisted my sharer sign an agreement. Under the insurance cluase, I have stated twho the horse is insured with and that I am liable for vet fees except if she is found to be negligent whilst riding i.e. cantering on roads type of thing. Also, under this section, I have written that it is the sharers responsibility to provide their own personalaccident insurance. As far as suing you goes, you/your horse has to have been proved negligent which is very very hard however, a friend of mine's insurance company recenbtly mentioned that a new law was passed wher the owner could be found 50% liable......rather than the insurance company coughing up 100%! If youw ould like a copy of the agreement that I had done for my sharer, PM me. Its very fair on both sides and covers most thingsfrom use to the use of equipment. Happy sharing!