Sharing

JBM

Visit site
So currently have a sharer who pays 30 euro a week and half’s my horses shoes costs but does no stable jobs what would you think is a reasonable amount of money to ask for if they have to do some poo picking? And throw in a Haynet every so often? I imagine I can’t ask for the same price? Or can I?

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
It's a bit of a tricky one to answer as share agreements are so variable - some owners really just need a hand with jobs or exercising the horse and don't ask any money in return, others don't need jobs done but need the financial contribution or (as with my current share) want the horse kept exercised regularly but not be be doing it all themselves, others it's a bit of all of the above so you have a combo of jobs and financial contribution. I think it being a change to a current share agreement rather than starting a new one makes a difference as well.

I've just started a share which works out at about £25 per ride which is quite a bit more than my previous share which was £10 per ride (plus poo picking, mucking out, hay), BUT I don't have to do any jobs with the current share which fits much better for me with how full on my work is currently. I'm happy to pay a bit more and have accepted this agreement on the basis of no jobs. Lending a hand from time to time when I can would be fine but if my owner now said I need to poo pick every time I came up I'd not be that happy with it because the whole reason I'm paying the amount we agreed is the luxury (and time saving) of no jobs!

Sorry I've not given a straightforward answer here, more food for thought!

JBM

Visit site
It's a bit of a tricky one to answer as share agreements are so variable - some owners really just need a hand with jobs or exercising the horse and don't ask any money in return, others don't need jobs done but need the financial contribution or (as with my current share) want the horse kept exercised regularly but not be be doing it all themselves, others it's a bit of all of the above so you have a combo of jobs and financial contribution. I think it being a change to a current share agreement rather than starting a new one makes a difference as well.

I've just started a share which works out at about £25 per ride which is quite a bit more than my previous share which was £10 per ride (plus poo picking, mucking out, hay), BUT I don't have to do any jobs with the current share which fits much better for me with how full on my work is currently. I'm happy to pay a bit more and have accepted this agreement on the basis of no jobs. Lending a hand from time to time when I can would be fine but if my owner now said I need to poo pick every time I came up I'd not be that happy with it because the whole reason I'm paying the amount we agreed is the luxury (and time saving) of no jobs!

Sorry I've not given a straightforward answer here, more food for thought!
Per ride? Oh my thats a lot if you’re riding a few times a week ? I’d just be a certain price a week then ride around 3/4 times a week

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Per ride? Oh my thats a lot if you’re riding a few times a week ? I’d just be a certain price a week then ride around 3/4 times a week

It's just once per week for the current share which actually works out for me at the moment, again because of work I'd struggle to commit to 2-3 days every week. The previous share I'd usually ride twice per week so the real difference in what I pay out is not that big but to get an idea of what's put in from my end (time/money/jobs) versus what I get out in terms of riding thought I'd put the 'per ride' rate but you're right it's not the whole picture of the share agreements so I should probably have mentioned that bit :D

Reactions: JBM

Skib

sites.google.com
I have always paid more than this but I do no work. The cost of a share hack is roughly the same as hacking from a local RS which varies according to where one lives. Near London land prices are high and so are costs for riding.

Reactions: JBM

JBM

Visit site
It's just once per week for the current share which actually works out for me at the moment, again because of work I'd struggle to commit to 2-3 days every week. The previous share I'd usually ride twice per week so the real difference in what I pay out is not that big but to get an idea of what's put in from my end (time/money/jobs) versus what I get out in terms of riding thought I'd put the 'per ride' rate but you're right it's not the whole picture of the share agreements so I should probably have mentioned that bit :D
ah I see! So €30 a week for 3/4 days riding and poo picking isn’t bad? Considering in your old contract that would’ve been 30/40 a week?

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I would just say you need them to contribute to some jobs which I don't think is unreasonable and no I wouldn't expect them to pay less, most sharers are expected to muck out and do everything for the horse on the days they ride.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
ah I see! So €30 a week for 3/4 days riding and poo picking isn’t bad? Considering in your old contract that would’ve been 30/40 a week?

Yes I don't think it's a bad agreement necessarily (I'm not sure how much the shoes contribution adds where you are), it was more thinking about changing the terms for the current sharer and how they might see it if that makes sense? They might be totally fine with it of course! :)

JBM

Visit site
Yes I don't think it's a bad agreement necessarily (I'm not sure how much the shoes contribution adds where you are), it was more thinking about changing the terms for the current sharer and how they might see it if that makes sense? They might be totally fine with it of course! :)
We’ll see this is if I move stable which means that my current sharer may not want to come with as her horse is at my current stable..it’s a bit of a mess really haha