Shavings in Scotland - where do you get yours

Jenni_

www.facebook.com
His are seasonal- he has whatever is left after the chickens go. He has to wait to see how much he has on Wednesday when the go but he reckons he might have a few left if you can pick up? How much do you pay for 20kg bags normally?

measles

Visit site
The shavings I get at the moment come from Andersons through a very reliable supplier. I'm advised that Andersons have recently put their own plant in to turn trees into shavings rather than relying on waste from the building trade. It is the first lot of shavings I have had from the new plant that I am unhappy with - they are very light (think run freely out of the plastic when opened) and I found a number of long, sharp bits of wood in them.

I'm advised by my supplier that Andersons are aware that there are issues but they can't guarantee that they are just teething problems. Aside from those problems picking them up is not really a viable option as I use so many - we'd be there once a fortnight.

Any other thoughts gratefully received.

Last edited:

Jingleballs

Visit site
I was buying mine from Stevensons (£6.30 a bale collected) or Drumbowie farm (£6.70 collected) but Stevensons put their prices up by around £1 per bale and Drumbowie's last batch of shavings were more like bedmax which I hate.

Y/O found a new supplier who is bringing a pallet of £30 to us working out at £6.30 a bale - not overly cheap but cheaper than elsewhere - not sure what area they cover but I can find out the name of the supplier if you like.

cm2581

Visit site
I'm not sure where you are, but Murray Farm care in Dumfires could be worth a shot. They don't sell Andersons, they use a company from Penrith (can't remember the name). I'm paying £7.20 delivered to Rosewell, Midlothian if I take 10 at once, so at the rate you are going through them I'm sure it would be less than I pay! A lot of suppliers are offering Littlemax at reduced rates. Where exactly are you?

tubby1

Visit site
Macaskies farm supplies in stirling I have picked up some yesterday for £5.45 a bale. I have heard if you buy a pallet it's about £5.10 per bale. I haven't used them yet so don't know about quality.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Local supplier is about 5.50 a bale. I do straw though but apparently they are good shavings. lanark area though and they dont deliver unless its loads your ordering i wouldnt think.

Jenni_

www.facebook.com
Thanks, Jennni. I'm paying £6.95 a bale delivered.

he said to me that whatever he has left you can have for £5 a bale? cant guarantee it will be loads but if you like the stuff I can find out where he gets it and in future I'm sure he could order in extra for you or you could order direct? Ill PM you anyway when I know how much he has left :D