She won't stop...

MidnightStar

Visit site
neighing!
confused.gif

Sorry if this sounds a bit of an odd post but my loaned mare has only recently started doing this and now she won't stop! She only ever does it when I'm riding her in the school (she can see her field mates from there) or when I'm at shows (often on her own). I thought it was just her calling out to her field mates but now it's getting a pain as she is starting to ignore my aids etc. as she's spending all her time calling instead of looking where she's going. On occasions she's been cantering around the school quite happily only to slam on the brakes and start neighing again. She's done this in the ring too, the worst being in the middle of a dressage test
blush.gif

Anyone else had this, or know how to stop her from doing it? I'm completely at a loss...

M

tashyisaudrey

Visit site
that is quite strange. My horse does whinny a lot when she hears her field mates and when she comes back from a ride or schooling and see's them, but never during work. Its frustrating sometimes, she does it occasionally when she can hear her field pals when I am grooming her. But she has never done it on her own during work. - That must be annoying!

JAK

Visit site
Not sure what to suggest really, as this does seem rather extreme! I sympathise though, as Fat Orange One can be the noisiest pony on the planet at shows, screeching his head off at unbelieveable decibel levels!
He has however, never carried it over into the ring & only does it outside the ring or near the trailer & he doesn't do it all the time obviously, or I would have strangled him by now!
shocked.gif
laugh.gif

Is she ok out hacking then? I can understand her doing it in sight of her field mates at home but alone at a show? Suggests she is feeling somewhat insecure maybe?
Could you spend some more time just hacking out with her & getting to know her a bit better, so she perhaps gains a little more confidence, not to mention awareness of you, as her rider?

What sort of work is she doing in the school? Could you make it a little more varied maybe, to keep her attention on you more?
Also, perhaps spend more time with her on the ground, again just getting to know her better & gaining her trust & confidence?

Could do with a bit more info really, as don't know anything about her obviously!
smile.gif

hairycob

Visit site
I can sympathise - I took Pickle into a Prettiest Mare class once, but noisiest mare would have been more appropriate! The only hope I can hold out is that as she got used to each venue she quietened down (she really only goes along because my son's pony gets stressy in the trailer on his own). She was also very vocal every time we saw a horse out hacking when I first got her, but that stopped after a few weeks. Have you had her very long?

hellyt1

Visit site
horrible horrible horrible, i had a mare on loan that used to do this to her field companion the whole time we were schooling and it drove me mad. also made me quite unsettled cos she didn't listen to me at all when she was doing it. she was worse when the pony was out in the field and when the pony was in the stable we had to close the door (usually had a breast strap) and make sure it had extra hay or they would both be at it! The only thing i can suggest is making her pay attention to you with lots of varied school work and possibly try riding at different times of day when she might not be so unsettled by the others? As others have suggested, it may be that she is feeling insecure so try spending time just getting to know her and sorting out your relationship, especially if you haven't had her long. Funnily enough, the mare i rode, never did this when lunging!

MidnightStar

Visit site
She's 9 years old (2 owners previously) and I've had her for nearly a year so far. She neighed a bit when I got her (understandable - plus it only lasted a couple of days) and I never had a problem with her until a month or so ago.

Out hacking, she's absolutely fine and never puts a foot wrong. She's only neighed once and that was when some ponies (colts...) in the field I rode past where going a bit nuts and were calling to her.

Schooling wise, I do it twice a week on my own with one day a fortnight jumping/competing. She's lunged occasionally but not as often as she perhaps should be
blush.gif
and then I go hacking for 2/3 days a week depending on how much work she's done (she usually has 1 day off a week in the summer)

On the ground, she's absolutely brilliant - she always comes over to me in the field when I call her and loves attention when I'm grooming her etc.

I think that's everything but short of gagging her I've no idea what to do
blush.gif
grin.gif

Thanks for all the help so far though,

M

Sal_E

Visit site
MS - has anything changed? Any new horse arrive, a horse leave, change of routine/field etc, something to make her feel insecure?

MidnightStar

Visit site
A gelding came less than a month ago (just after the neighing started) but he's in a field way out of sight of the mares and she's never met him as far as I know! The mares changed fields a couple of months ago but for 2 weeks she was fine. Other than that, I don't think anything's changed except I bought her a new headcollar as her last one fell apart
smile.gif