sheath cleaning ...

Visit site
this may seem like a very silly question but I am going to clean my geldings sheath soon. Was just wondering which type of sheath cleaner is best to use, how I should go about doing it etc. Any advice much appreciated, Thanks x

Visit site
what does that mean?
crazy.gif

Fairynuff

Visit site
KY jelly is a water based lubricant-it can be found in many bedside drawers. Do you want to clean his willy or his willy casing?If you want to clean the casing try using intimate soap ie what ladies use. Dont clean it too often as the gunk collected has anti bacterial qualities and over cleaning could cause irritation. M.
smile.gif

Louby

Visit site
Hi, my vet says just to use warm water because of the bacteria thing. I was disgusted at what was lurking in my poor boys sheath...yuk. Bad bad mum!!!

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Means he's rich - it's dear stuff! Seriously, though, a tactful approach with a very gentle cleanser is required. I did have a pony who really enjoyed having his sheath scrubbed out, but his thingy disappeared from sight. Do be careful P_P or you might get kicked.

pocket

Visit site
I use a very weak solution of hibi scrub in warm water and then give it a thorough rinse and yes it is disgusting, but mares aren't that nice at certain times.......oh the things we do for love
crazy.gif

Acolyte

Visit site
I've got some sheath cleanser - can't remember who makes it but it is a white bottle with green writing - just got it from my local tack shop. Suspect it is just a mild cleanser at twice the usual price
smile.gif

As the others have said - be gentle, use a plastic glove to protect your hand if you are delicate or don't want gunk under your fingernails. My geldings never seem to be the ones who are helpful and display all for you, typical
grin.gif

Oaksflight

Visit site
I'm very paraniod about mine as he's had an infected sheath once before. It's not a nice job, but then again beats having a moody mare! Wear latex gloves! I have wipes, tempted to just get the hose on it next time though!

riotgirl

Visit site
When I had a gelding I never bothered with it unless there is something obviously wrong. I do know that once you start doing it you have to keep on with it.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Dont use any! Used a cleanser ONCE on one of my past horses, his sheath swelled right up!! So never cleaned any of my boys "bits" since and nobody has had any problems. My philosophy is that they dont get them cleaned in the wild, so why do it?!

BethH

Visit site
I agree with very mild solution of hibi scrub and warm water and rinse thoroughly. Word of warning to those that don't bother, I had an old boy on loan and he had never been cleaned, one day sheath really got swollen and we had to call the vet. When she had sedated him to give him a thorough clean, she found the gunk and debris has formed a small pebble inside his penis almost making it impossible for him to pass water and making him unbelievably sore, he would have been uncomfortable for a very long time without anyone realizing, it was only when it got so bad that we were able to tell there was something wrong and get the vet. Also in the summer, the flies can cause massive problems and lay eggs etc if you don't clean it regularly then you are asking for an infection at some point. My gelding is cleaned thoroughly at least once a month and because it is so routine he is very well behaved and it is a quick 5 min job.

ruscara

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
But all the boys enjoy their owners give their bits a bit of a juggle and a clean.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not mine. He tries to kill me!
frown.gif

Here are good instructions for all those who wish to attempt this!
smirk.gif

Rupert2006

Visit site
Urgh - I have just read the sheath cleaning instructions - very funny! But there is no way I can see myself hunting for that bean!!

I was instructed to clean my new ned's sheath shortly after buying him - and it was nasty, very crusty and gunky, obviously having not been touched for a very long time - the whole experience was a little stomach turning (it was the smell, made me gag - and I thought I had a strong stomach) and my ned was compliant but not too impressed. Have bought some new sheath cleaner stuff and and am just waiting for my resolve to return so I can have another go. Although I was pleased to see that after having him on some of the global hebs supplements his willy is actually looking much better without the intervention of me and my latex glove.

eekmon

Visit site
PMSL
blush.gif
That is funny!! Ditto on the killing situation! We have a big horse in our yard who has to have his cleaned regularly and he gets those 'bean' things! Vet told me not all sheaths need doing and I fall into that catagory! Thank God!
grin.gif

demia8

Visit site
If it looks a bit yuck then clean it - if not, leave it!

The cleaner IntroEventer wrote about is made by Barrier Health. It is fairly popular.

parsley

Visit site
My boy came with some sheath cleaner and tbh he does smell a bit at present but there is no swelling or sign of problems so I am leaving well alone. We used to clean using liquid parafin but I am not sure if that is recommended anymore (lots of things we "used to do" aren't!)

GTs

Visit site
I am not surprised some of the boys do not enjoy it - the way I have seen someone 'attack' it. I saw one lady up her elbow in sheath, trying to pull it out!!!!!

Fairynuff

Visit site
Just my theory-male horse in the wild arent geldings and will probably do what most red blooded males will do when the find a compliant young lady(or the famouse five fingered widower). Lots of satisfaction and a clean out to boot!!!
blush.gif
M.

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
My vet has to sedate my horse with domosedan and acp (to relax it out of its hidy hole) before I can do mine which he advises i do at least every other year as it gets v crudy and as he is grey with melanomas I need to actually be able to see if he has any on his most treasured part.
I have tried without serious sedation but just looking at Murphy's sheath will make him lift a hind leg in threat. I've even tried waiting until he has a wee then picking bits off, because a friend informed me that he couldn't stop peeing and kick me - but he can!!!
One naive young vet tried to just domosedan him and found it impossible to get Murphy's best friend out and another just ACP'd him which had no effect at all.
Alas I look back to the days when he used to cover my friends mare and I never had to clean his willy at all (he isnt a rig).!!