Sheep netting and a foalie...

_jetset_

Visit site
Ok, I am a complete sheep nettingphobe, but I know a lot of people near here use it for their horse fields. The field where Hannah and her foalie will be going has sheep netting down one side because the YO's next door neighbour fitted it without asking YO (it's a joint boundary) and they will not take it down now due to the costs. YO was going to post and rail the whole side, so it's their own fault to be honest for not consulting her.

However, this is now causing a few concerns in my mind. YO has offered me this field free of charge for Han and foal (it is a gorgeous field and she is putting new post and rail up on two of the side, but by putting it up on this boundary would mean her giving away the ditch that she fought very hard for a long time ago).

YO has offered to put some of the electric fencing up along the fence (there is a small ditch there), the type that is attached to the fence but sticks out. She said she would get the longest she has and the rope electric fence... but would this be suitable?

Can anyone offer me some advice. As I see it, this electric fencing will stick out of the fence enough to keep them away from the sheep wire but would you risk it?

Happytohack

Visit site
Definite No No. And also will the ditch be in the field with Mum & foalie? If so, this needs to be fenced off otherwise you can be certain that foalie will roll into it and get stuck. When Tilly was a foal she did on occasion roll so her feet were under our fence - but we have post & rail with two strands of thick electric greeen tape as well, so she soon managed to scrabble back again. Sheep wire and horses of any age don't mix - my old boy got his foot stuck in it once years ago, luckily he didn't panic, just pulled his shoe off and some of the wire down.

baybeejay01

community.webshots.com
Sounds to me like a generous YO and they are worth their weight in gold! Unless you own your own land and have an endless supply of money you have to make the best of a bad lot and it seems, (if I have the right picture in my head
confused.gif
), like a good compromise. The ditch is what would concern me but if the electric fence has that covered then I would at least try it. Have you got a back up plan in case it doesn't work?

_jetset_

Visit site
It would mean them moving to a much smaller field that has a footpath running through and the mares next to them which would cause Hannah to fly round I think...

S_N

Visit site
OK - do what I did. Invest in 4ft electric fence poles and some tape and fence down inside of the ditch, with 4 strands of electric tape! When the foal is older/bigger you can decrease the strands to 3, then maybe 2.

baybeejay01

community.webshots.com
If you think that by putting electric fence onto the existing fence will keep little legs away from it (& only you know cos you've seen the fence), then I would rather that than having a footpath through a mare and foal field - to me that is more dangerous, with the best will in the world mums and babies and the general public don't mix! Would also be concerned about mum not settling and running the foal ragged.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
I'd rather have sheep netting than a footpath any day! At least you can keep them away from the netting with 2 strands of electric tape/rope, but heaven alone know what walkers might give your horses/do to your horses - scenario - foal laying down, 'oh, aint he cute, think I'll go and give him a hug'; foal jumps up, flies around field in a panic, Hannah panicing cos foalie is, all sorts can happen; no footpath for me thank you! Sorry to be alarmist about it, I have a phobia of them with horses (any type of horse but more worried with mares and foals tbh!)
You could bring the tape back from the ditch/fenceline to give you a bit more protection too, maybe at least a yard from the ditch rim, even more.

_jetset_

Visit site
How much would it be for the plastic fence posts and tape? I am on a slight budget at the moment as in the process of job hunting and worried that if I bought some I would never use it again as the fields we are usually in are fantastic and post and railed throughout.

I think the best thing would be for me to ask YO to get some of the things that stick out of existing fence and see the clearance it would give. I am also a little dubious about putting Han and foal in with the footpath because many people don't put their bloody dogs on a lead walking through, even when there was a mare and foal in last year! Luckily there were no accidents, but it was bloody ridiculous having a dog running round a foal and its Mum!

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Please, Beck, for peace of mind, don't put them in one with a footpath; you'll never rest and neither will they if they're being disturbed all day; plus perish the thought of a dog in with them- it doesn't bear thinking about!

S_N

Visit site
20 x 4ft posts in green will set you back about £50. 200 mtrs of the widest tape in green, about £30. White is cheaper.

_jetset_

Visit site
Thanks everyone... I'll have a look into buying some electric fencing I think because this field is perfect in every other way!

It's hard when you're on a livery yard because like someone said, it's not your own land. I really don't want to send her and foalie to stud because I would like to do quite a bit with the foal handling wise, and I don't think Han would be particularly happy moving away again as she loves being on the yard she is on!

Rebecca

Claireg9

Visit site
Defo buy the electric fence posts and tape.. tape is better IMO as its thicker and can be seen easier... this is also the reason i prefer white to green as it doesnt mingle in with the grass! Also tye some plastic bags onto the post to stop them going near it (Although i think electric fence in this case is sensible i still dont like the stuff very much) So best to try and keep them away from it!
It isnt that expensive and will be alot less than a hefty vet bill if poor foaly got mischevious and thought it was fun to try and get beond the ditch! Honestly you'll thank yourself for it. You can always seel on ebay afterwards if you dont want the tape and posts any longer but TBH it always comes in handy incase you have to section a small field off for injury or fatness at a later date!
You YO sounds fab though!
Goo dluck x