Sheepdog training help

martlin

www.martlinequestrian.co.uk
Hello all, I wonder if you can help me out a bit... I seem to have, ahem, acquired another dog. Where do I start, a bit of background:
we have a mid sized flock of sheep and a sheepdog to go with it, border collie called Stacie :) We bought Stacie partly trained at the age of 15 months, she is nearly 5 yo now and I continued her training myself and she is a fully fledged sheepdog now. As our flock is growing, we have decided that another dog to work alongside Stacie would be a grand idea, because as much as my lovely JRT tries, no self respecting ewe takes her seriously :eek: :D
So, I was expecting that we will take the long trip to Buith Wells(Sp?), visit the guy we bought Stacie from and just get another - simple, right? Well, no, apparently not! My OH just went and bought a PUP :eek: a lovely huntaway boy.
And that's where my little problem lies. I have had puppies before and trained them as companions, I have a sheepdog I continued training with, but I have never trained a sheepdog from scratch! So... how do I actually start?

I can share a Godfellas Pepperoni and a red bull if you got this far :D

Spudlet

Visit site
Try dropping Alec Swan a PM, I think he has / had sheepdogs and he's in North Norfolk (that's the uncivilised half of course:p:D) so he might know a trainer local to you:)

martlin

Thanks, Spudlet. The problem is, there aren't any trainers around this way, it's mainly a welsh thing, you see ;) Not many sheepdogs in Lincolnshire :p :D
And anyway, I would really want to have a go at it myself, I know how to teach them pretty much everything once they know the run out/pass, just need some direction on how to teach the run out :eek: As in, how old do they start and teaching what first.
arghh, why couldn't my darling OH just get another yearling collie? Men for ya.

Last edited:

Dobiegirl

Visit site
No real help but I know a great guy in Somerset who teaches all levels and even runs sheepdog trials. If you wanted I could give you his phone number in the hope he may know someone nearer to you.

martlin

I know a few trainers in Staffordshire, and Shropshire... just nobody around here. I also can't grasp ''come by'' and ''away'', so Stacie does ''left, left'' and ''right, right'' instead :eek: not very sheepdoggy, is it? :D OH says it is like sitting in a police pursuit car, listening to me working her, lol. I think a proper trainer would have a heart attack with me :D

Dobiegirl

Visit site
My friend who is the sheepdog trainer has told me of people who have come to him not knowing a thing and going away on top of the world.

A good trainer will not take the mickey and after all everyone has to start somewhere.

Just a thought have you had a look to see if there is anything in Farmers Weekly? or Farmer & Smallholder adverts.

mon

Visit site
Huntaways will be different to train to collies, that's why I stick to collies, try ISDS website or google huntaways was a small demo of them at last NSA she event at Malvern so contact NSA for their details.

Spudlet

Visit site
I think there's one out Norfolk way as someone I met walking once reckoned she was training her collie up.

martlin

I think there's one out Norfolk way as someone I met walking once reckoned she was training her collie up.
You mean one like in BDC's link? That would scare me to death :eek: I live a sheltered life :D ;)
ETS: I managed to find out that they start their training at 8 months old, so I have 5 months to find a suitable trainer. There is an added complication, though - apparently, it's my OH's dog and HE is going to train and work him (snort!)...:rolleyes: Those who know my OH can imagine how funny that would be ;)

Last edited:

Wundahorse

Visit site
Hello all, I wonder if you can help me out a bit... I seem to have, ahem, acquired another dog. Where do I start, a bit of background:
we have a mid sized flock of sheep and a sheepdog to go with it, border collie called Stacie :) We bought Stacie partly trained at the age of 15 months, she is nearly 5 yo now and I continued her training myself and she is a fully fledged sheepdog now. As our flock is growing, we have decided that another dog to work alongside Stacie would be a grand idea, because as much as my lovely JRT tries, no self respecting ewe takes her seriously :eek: :D
So, I was expecting that we will take the long trip to Buith Wells(Sp?), visit the guy we bought Stacie from and just get another - simple, right? Well, no, apparently not! My OH just went and bought a PUP :eek: a lovely huntaway boy.
And that's where my little problem lies. I have had puppies before and trained them as companions, I have a sheepdog I continued training with, but I have never trained a sheepdog from scratch! So... how do I actually start?

I can share a Godfellas Pepperoni and a red bull if you got this far :D

If you want a good laugh please read my new thread titled "poor excuse for a collie".Perhaps you can give me some tips.