Sheepskin half pad worn ontop or underneath numnah?

nikCscott

Visit site
I'm sure its a divvy question but its been suggested to me to use a sheepskin half pad to take some pressure of the boy's back.

I've not bought one yet- (prob tomorrow) but was thinking if on top of numnah that will mean the numnah will probably be tight across wither rather than up in the channel. But under numnah may cause some rucking around girth area ???

Thank you

LouS

Visit site
Buy a decent one with a channel for the spine. Will your saddle still fit with the extra padding?

Oh and I put them over a saddlecloth.

meesha

Visit site
I was always against using 2 pads and just used one sheepskin numnah but had to wash it so often that it really wrecked it. Now use very thin cotton saddlecloth with half pad over top - just make sure when u put it on that you dont flatten saddlecloth so its tight underneath (if you know what I mean). Doing this means you dont need to wash the halfpad so you can use a nice one like a lambswool without wrecking it.

sazzle44

Visit site
I'd put the saddle cloth underneath a) to keep the sheepskin clean and b) the saddle shape in the sheepskin will press down if there's a saddle cloth over the top. That probably doesn't make sense to you, but it does in my little head :eek: :p I usually just have a half pad with no cloth though. Just make sure you have a channel along the spine and a high wither saddle cloth x

PolarSkye

Visit site
I just use the sheepskin half pad with no numnah . . . I worry that it will mess with saddle fit and it just seems like one piece of equipment too many. I wash the half pad (Le Mieux) on a gentle/woolen cold water wash and dry it either on the line (if it's warm enough) or hang it up somewhere - takes no time to dry and always fluffs right up.

P