Shepherd outside

hjohnson93

Visit site
So we have a 9 month old shepherd that stays in out huge barn during the day while we are at work, the barn is probably 400m long so massive, inside he has a kennel and his crate that he can sleep in, lots of bones and kongs. Am worried about him getting too hot in the summer, would tying him outside to a long chain be okay? Or could he hurt himself?

hjohnson93

Visit site
I completely agree, I am just so worried about him getting too hot, the barn is made of metal. Would a chain attached to a harness make it any better?

hjohnson93

Visit site
Not at all, I start at 11 and my OH finishes at 3. So not long alone at all really. The cows who are in the barn then get checked and him let out in the middle of that period.

hjohnson93

Visit site
There are 3 or 4 big water troughs in there so he has access to drinking water all the time, thats a point though I didnt think about him being able to get in them. He loves water. I'm over thinking it really, he should be fine!

MurphysMinder

Visit site
He will definitely be better loose in the barn rather than on a chain. Apart from the risk of getting tangled up, being chained can lead to aggressive behaviour. The ideal would be to build a kennel and run so he has access to outside but some cool shade too, would that be possible?

pippixox

Visit site
i think even metal barns can stay quite cool in the summer as quite shady, as long as they are ventilated
they will probably overheat more being stuck outside on a chain without good shade