She's gone :(

misskk88

Visit site
I had my wonderful mare put to sleep last week.

Some of you may have read my previous posts about on going lameness issues and choosing to retire her for one last summer before winter hit.

I spent my last few hours with her, just grooming, feeding her lots of treats, and ensuring she was thoroughly spoilt. She thought it was great and clearly had no issues dragging me everywhere for the new grass we let her roam around! Leading her in from the field for the last time though, felt so sad. The sun was shining though, so it was nice to both have the sun on our backs, together just enjoying each others company for the last time.

The thing is, I keep getting random outbursts of tears, and these random pangs of guilt (I know I shouldn't!). The day she went, she was happy, healthy, full of life, and probably would have been ok for a few more weeks, perhaps even months. But I didn't want to wait for the WHEN of her going lame again, and then having to make a decision when she was so sore she could barely hobble across the field. I didn't want to keep her buted up for the sake of keeping her going. And we had tried the light hack/box rest/gentle routine route. It didn't work. At 19 I refused to put her through loads of investigations and rehab too. I know it was the right decision for her.

I had the vet. The vet himself, was lovely and I am so grateful to him! I used a new vet due to her being in a different location and not wanting to use previous vet. I had email/called and they had confirmed they would be happy to invoice, as with usual clients, and that the removal company would also invoice. My friend used the same removal company and said they had been great and confirmed they would invoice. Was all confirmed several weeks in advance.

FORTY FIVE minutes before the vet was due I get a call from the admin/receptionist saying that they understood I had been dealing with their colleague, to confirm the removal time (they knew I wasn't going to be there when they turned up) and "by the way the cost is actually cheaper than what you were quoted, but they expect payment on collection".

Clearly I had a break down on the phone because 1, I had made sure that my payday would come in time for when invoices arrived and hence did not have money upfront. 2, I was in the middle of nowhere with no access to a cash machine and 3, I was already devastated at the fact my mare would be gone in the next hour. She then proceeded to back track and to say that she would phone the removal company to see if actually, they would invoice. She phoned back and they would. WHY would she not just have asked them beforehand, without the telephone call to me, to ensure that as an owner, the situation was kept as

It really spoilt what was meant to be a special day with her :(

Auslander

Visit site
Oh God-you poor thing. The last thing you needed at a time like that. Might be worth a letter to the vets once things have become a bit less raw. My practice organises and pays for collection, and then invoices at a later date, so that the process itself is all about the horse/owner - not logistics.

I dealt with the euthanasia of a friends horse a few years back, where the guy doing the collection turned up, was a surly sod, and sat there with the horse loaded, his ebgine running, and a hand out of the car window for a cheque. I swore blind that I would never use him. A bit of empathy goes a long way at times like this

Luci07

Visit site
So sorry you had to go through that. Hard enough with adding to the stress. I suspect the receptionist get more than she bargained for when she called you and won't make that mistake again...so if it is any consolation, you might have been able to spare some one else going through this.

touchstone

Visit site
Missk, sorry to hear your mare has gone, funnily enough I made the same decision for mine last week, it didn't go as smoothly as I'd hoped due to torrential rain, the vet being an hour late, the collector arriving early and then the vet not sedating when requested and having to when trying unsuccessfully. It made the whole guilt thing much worse.

Like you it is random things that set me off, but it is getting easier and I also feel relief that I've been able to prevent her deteriorating and I know it was the right decision which helps.

Have a bug from me, I know how hard it is. X

ozpoz

Visit site
I'm so sorry. I understand the random tears, I'm still doing that 2 months on, although less frequently. I'm so very sorry you had such an insensitive phone call, incredibly bad and thoughtless timing from the receptionist - I hope she has learned from it.
Your mare has been loved and cared for beautifully through her life , by the sound of it. She was lucky to have you there for her. x

misskk88

Visit site
Thanks all.

Touchstone, so sorry to hear of your situation. The vet which came for my girl gave a light sedative as part of normal procedure.

The past few weeks have been so hard what with decision made for my horse, and my long term relationship breaking down in the interim period and mother being in and out of hospital waiting for an op. It has not been easy. The receptionists call just put me in absolute meltdown!

My heart is aching today for my mare, and everything else.

Michen

Visit site
So sorry. I had booked for my boy to be done on the Thursday at midday and for some reason it just absolutely had to be that time. I was really upset when the hunt called to cancel and wanted to bring the day forward or later, I don't know why but when you've made that decision and geared yourself up for it being a certain time/day it just HAS to be that. I had him done by someone else to ensure the day and time was kept.

As for the random outbursts of tears, nearly four months on I still have them. There are days when I dont stop crying, days where I have the odd sob and days where I don't think about him at all. Very hit and miss and often dependent on what else is going on in life.

Chin up, your girl is no longer hurting even though you are- and that's the kindest thing we can do for our horses. Xxxx

asommerville

Visit site
I totally feel your pain, my beautiful boy was put to sleep on Monday, and I feel like a part of me has been removed - I can hardly muster up the motivation to go and see my old horse, my boy was only 8. Im sorry you had those issues on the day, I hope your feeling a bit better soon x

Michen

Visit site
Oh and I should also add, I too broke up with my boyfriend of nearly three years just after my boy was put down. Sometimes you don't know whether it's horse or boy you are sobbing for! Take care of yourself xxx

misskk88

Visit site
So sorry. I had booked for my boy to be done on the Thursday at midday and for some reason it just absolutely had to be that time. I was really upset when the hunt called to cancel and wanted to bring the day forward or later, I don't know why but when you've made that decision and geared yourself up for it being a certain time/day it just HAS to be that. I had him done by someone else to ensure the day and time was kept.

That really is true. I had mentally prepared myself for it, and for me being able to make the decision in her best interests helped me rationalise it all and to stay strong when everything else was so haywire.

I think today it really has HIT me, you know? I was hardly consolable on the day, but I have been relatively ok apart from the little sob, but today someone could look at me the wrong way and I could cry. I just want to be able to go and see her today, like I use to. Even if it was to give her a pat and treat and check she was ok!

GemG

Visit site
Big thoughts to you. It's always better a day too early than a day too late... ...doesn't make it easier though does it!?

Sometimes I think we need them (horses) more than they need us.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Thanks all.

Touchstone, so sorry to hear of your situation. The vet which came for my girl gave a light sedative as part of normal procedure.

The past few weeks have been so hard what with decision made for my horse, and my long term relationship breaking down in the interim period and mother being in and out of hospital waiting for an op. It has not been easy. The receptionists call just put me in absolute meltdown!

My heart is aching today for my mare, and everything else.

So sorry to hear you had to let your girlie go, this brings me too the day I let my girl go. I know what you mean about crying outbursts, this will happen for a while yet, but just let it go, don't bottle it up.

We humans cannot let our beloved horses / pets go on in pain and have the right to let them go which sadly we cannot do for our family.

Your stopped her pain, that is is a hard decision but the right one, it is never easy when we have to make that call.

I love this poem so about font I have just copied it from the website in my link and take too long to re type it small

AS MUCH AS I LOVED THE LIFE WE HAD, AND ALL THE TIMES WE PLAYED
I WAS SO TIRED AND KNEW MY TIME ON EARTH WOULD FADE.

I SAW A WONDEROUS IMAGE OF A PLACE THAT IS TROUBLE FREE
AND WHERE ALL OF US CAN MEET AGAIN AND SPEND ETERNITY

I SAW A BEAUTIFUL RAINBOW AND ON THE OTHER SIDE
WERE MEADOWS RICH AND BEAUTIFUL - LUSH AND GREEN AND WIDE

AND RUNNING THROUGH THE MEADOWS AS FAR AS THE EYE COULD SEE
WERE ANIMALS OF EVERY SORT AS HEALTHY AS CAN BE

MY OWN TIRED FAILING BODY WAS FRESH AND HEALED AND NEW
AND WANTED TO GO AND RUN WITH THEM BUT I HAD SOMETHING LEFT TO DO

I NEEDED TO REACH OUT TO YOU AND TELL YOU I AM ALRIGHT
AND THAT THIS PLACE IS TRULY WONDERFULL
THEN A BRIGHT GLOW PIERCED THE NIGHT

T' WAS THE GLOW OF MANY CANDLES SHINNING BRIGHT AND STRONG
AND I KNEW IT HELD OUR LOVE IN IT BRILLIANT SHADES OF GOLD

FOR ALTHOUGH WE MAY NOT BE TOGETHER THE WAY WE USED TO BE
WE ARE STILL CONNECTED BY THE CORD THAT NO EYE CAN SEE

SO WHENEVER YOU NEED TO FIND ME WE ARE NEVER FAR APART
IF YOU LOOK BEYOND THE RAINBOW AND LISTEN TO YOUR HEART

Last edited:

chillipup

Visit site
misskk88,

So very sorry to read your sad news, cry as much as you want there is no time limit with grief. (but put the receptionists error to the back of your mind)-and think of all the good times you had together. Big hugs sent.

HGA-12, lovely sentiments -

misskk88

Visit site
Sometimes I think we need them (horses) more than they need us.

Never a truer word spoken! Absolutely my therapy and my escape. Better than any therapist!

I am horseless for the first time in over 8 years. I feel a little empty, a little lost, and a lot like not me! She is the first I have had PTS.

HGA thanks for the poem. Was lovely to read. Just trying to hold back the tears whilst at work!

asommerville

Visit site
Oh that poem - more tears - the night my boy was put to sleep there was the most amazing sunset, never seen anything like it in my life and I'm sure it was him....don't know how to post pics 😞

_GG_

Visit site
I'm so sorry to hear about this, how utterly heartbreaking, but at the same time, wonderful that your lovely girl had such a caring and selfless owner.

The vets did handle that situation very poorly I think and as Auslander has said, it might be worth a letter in a few weeks time to try and stop it happening to others. When it was Fly, they company collecting her did need paying upfront as they stopped invoicing through the vets, we didn't find out either until we were in the field with Fly on the floor. Not good timing to have that added on top, but thankfully they chap could take card payment on site and he was absolutely wonderful.

Big hugs to you..your random floods of tears will carry on for a while and will always creep up on you when you least expect it, but that is how we grieve. Bless you...you absolutely did the right thing xxx

3OldPonies

Visit site
miskk88 so sorry that your girlie is no longer with you. It's so awful when they leave us, even when things go well, if I were you I would leave it a week or two and then like others have said, brave pants on and a letter to the vets practice manager. It'll be a hard thing to do - I had similar when the invoice for my first horse came back from the crematorium and they'd got his description wrong - but if you making a stand stops someone else going through a call like that then it will be a job well done.

I'm sending you huge hugs of sympathy and hope that it won't be long before the good memories are surfacing and you can smile when you remember your girlie.

Hullabaloo

Visit site
So sorry for your loss. I had my horse put to sleep in June in fairly similar circumstances and totally relate to the random outbursts of tears and feelings of guilt. I still have them now but less often.
Look after yourself and cry as much as you need to but hang on to the fact that you did the best for your horse x

maxapple

Visit site
Sorry you have had to say goodbye to your girl. It takes a long time to get used to life without them. I had my boy pts a year ago now and felt ok at first but found it got harder as time went on. In the lead up to the summer I found myskef missing him terribly - so much so I don't ride any more at the moment. Just can't bring myself to.

Be kind to yourself and give yourself lots of time to get used to things. You have done rhe kindest thing for her which is the most important thing to remember. Lots of hugs xxx

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
I'm so sorry, you poor thing. It's so, so difficult when you have to say a final goodbye. The guilt feeling is, sadly, a 'normal' part. You did the kindest, and most caring decision possible, to ensure she didn't suffer anymore unnecessary pain. As you said yourself, she went full of life and healthy, most importantly happy, plus she had you there spoiling her beforehand! - I wish more horses could go that way. Try and remember all the happy times you had together, had as it may be.

I'm sorry about the issues you were unlucky enough to experience on top of saying goodbye to your mare, I can imagine how unpleasant that must of been.

Many, many hugs and vibes to you.

R.I.P. little mare. xxx

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
So sorry for you loss and the upset you had on the day. I welled up just reading through this thread. Difficult to make the decision yet alone have day/time altered and circumstances changing.

It is something that people aren't aware of enough with regards to disposal. I lost a foal and when I rang the hunt to collect him I asked how much it would be. It turned out that as he was bigger than the huntsman thought so it was more money than my friend and I had on us (weren't anticipating finding a dead foal in the field :(). He was brilliant though and told me not to worry as they would send an invoice. The compassion that he showed helped under horrible circumstances.

Sending huge hugs for you. Hurt, grief and guilty comes in waves and it takes time for things to heal. X

misskk88

Visit site
so much so I don't ride any more at the moment. Just can't bring myself to.

Thank you all for the kind words. I honestly never thought I would feel so empty. I have lost other pets and have been upset, but this is totally different! I guess that relationship you have with such a big powerful beast is just so different.

So sorry to hear of all those who have posted and who have recently lost horses too. Thoughts are with you!

maxapple, I picked out what you said because I feel exactly this way at the moment. I have a wonderful share horse, and the opportunity to ride friends horses. Whilst I am quite happy and comforted by being around them and helping look after them, my enthusiasm and drive to ride is just dead in the water at the moment.

I know it will come back, I wasn't even riding my mare for the last few months of her life! But I just need to take a while to concentrate on me, without having to worry about my riding ability, my skills, is the horse comfortable etc. I tend to be the type of rider who is a bit of a perfectionist and I beat myself up over everything, my brain just can't function that way at the minute! Is that silly?

touchstone

Visit site
I don't think that's silly at all, in fact it is exactly how I feel too! I have been offered a free ex point to pointer whose owner just wants a good home and two other horses to ride, but i just want to remember my last ride on my mare. I also like to keep my horses for life, an as I'm getting on myself it would mean I'm committing to one until I'm in my seventies or eighties, which would mean getting an older one now and I don't want to face the stress of an older horse with issues at the moment.

I'm trying to put my energies into other things and enjoy not having the stress of an unwell horse at the moment, but I do feel I will never be able to replace my mare, she was like my soulmate and I feel like I've lost a limb with her going.