shetland not pooing

spooks

Visit site
my shetland has been turned out during the day for approx 2 weeks with no problems, since sunday she has been going out of a night time and in during the day so her turnout time has practically doubled from 8 to 16 hours out of 24. the last 2 days there has only been one dropping in the stable and today there was none. she is still eating her pony nuts which she has to get out of her ball ,but she hasnt really touched her hay . one pad has lasted her 3 days so far. she still stuffs her face in the field. there is no heat in her hooves, although they are very slightly warm,( im not sure if thats normal or if there should be no heat at all ) she did trot all the way up the rd to the field this evening with no problems and is quite happy in herself.. she does look a bit bloated also , which i guess she would if she isnt pooing! YO said said to feed her a couple of packets of polos and again in the morning so ive given her a whole pack of extra strong mints , dont know if that was right or not!
any ideas as to what this is ? YO says its a type of colic.

Always_late

Visit site
Yup, she's right. Poor little pony will have sevear tummy ache by now. Get a syring (an old worming one will do) and mix some water with some baking soda and syring down her throat. It wont do any harm if it doesnt work but it should make her release some gas. The reason why she isn't pooing is because the bacteria in her hind gut has been over loaded thus slowing down the process of turning the grass into poo. I think you may have got of lightly this time! How are the pony's feet. You had better get your farrier out to check if the pony hasn't developed laminitus - so easily done and ponies dont always show symptoms. Good luck

Skhosu

Visit site
doesn't sound bad to me tbh, I've known ours to do this when on grass, they don't touch their hay. exactly how much time has she in as if ours aren't in for very long they tend ot just stand and doze in the stable.

Llwyncwn

Visit site
My advice with a possible laminitic would be only feed sugar free polo's! Extra strong mints are full of sugar.

As far as the lack of staling is concerned, I have had success in the past with liquid parafin syringed into throat. Or you could try putting cod liver oil capsules in feed (some horses wont touch it poured neat into feed).

GreedyGuts

Visit site
I would get the vet out if you are sure she isn't passing faeces, as the change of diet may have led her to impact and she needs to be given fluids to shift this. I wouldn't worry too much about laminitis if she is showing no signs of it, but make sure she keeps eating as small ponies are at added risk of hyperlipaemia when they go off their food.
Be careful about administering liquid paraffin in a syringe - if it goes down the wrong way the results can be disasterous. Fluids are a better way of shifting this kind of thing. It is a good sign that she is not showing signs of colic at the mo but it's probably better to get the vet out now rather than wait 'till she's sick.

Fairynuff

Visit site
If its an impaction it can take time to become apparent depending where the impaction is.Horses can have an impaction and pass the droppings which were on the rectal side of the blockage for some time. Please dont do any DIY syringing etc-get the vet to have a look at her incase there is something brewing. Have him check her for lami too as feet shouldnt be warm. I would take her off all that grass due to the risk of laminitis anyway. Mairi.

spooks

Visit site
she did two droppings over night, i left her in all day today and she hasnt done any throughout the day, ive given her a pad of hay tonight and her hooves are cold, there is no heat in them at all although my farrier is going to come and have a look. the vet wasnt to worried when i rang him as she is her usual happy self and doesnt react when you run your hands all over her body. i will see what she is like tomorrow and if she hasnt passed any droppings i will get them out to have a look at her

Fairynuff

Visit site
Im pleased shes her happy self. Hope you find a wheelbarrows worth of poo in her box tomorrow! Mairi.
grin.gif