shetland pony

Nudibranch

Visit site
Well this may or may not help but my 10hh shetland mare used to pull two of us in a wooden trap with proper wheels (as opposed to a super lightweight mesh and tyres job) quite comfortably . As Loobie_lou has pointed out they will let you know if they're not happy!
laugh.gif

YorkshireLass

Visit site
Shetlends are the strongest equines pound for pound and hand for hand.

I have an 8 hand shetland who, when he is fit, happily pulls a Bennington mini 2 wheeler and 2 adults. We live in a hilly place and we do up to 10 miles on a long run and an exercise drive is 3 miles... every day. He has done show drives (going hell for leather for 10k.

With any horse it depends upon fitness. Build up slowly. A shetland is no less capable than any other horse when it comes to driving.

100 years ago shetlands would be dragging 1 tonne tubs of coal out of mines for 12 hours a day! Theyare very under rated.

StrawberryFish

Visit site
Cheers for posting that.

Lily is approx 9hh (very quick rough measurement) and I'm thinking of breaking her to harness as unfortunately riding her is out of the question!!

Baggybreeches

www.photobucket.com
We used to have shetties, and I was doing Junior Whip at a Show once, when the judge got in Peanuts wouldnt budge, cant remember what type of trap it was, but I about 10 so probably about 6 stone, but the judge was a giant of a bloke (looked like Topol!) so I dont blame the pony. As the others said the pony will let you know if he isnt happy.

D

Donkeymad

[ QUOTE ]
Shetlends are the strongest equines pound for pound and hand for hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, no they are not. Donkeys are.

MagicMo

Visit site
Wow - that's great, I've broken my 34" shettie to drive but didn't think I'd be able to compete as he's so tiny and my driving instructor told me he was too small to be any use!!

SpruceRI

Visit site
A friend of mine has got a tiny mini Shetland. They've just started driving-eventing him. Admittedly a small lightweight cart, adult driver and lightweight kid as the backstepper, but the pony happily did the same course that the 13.2hh's were doing.

rara007

Visit site
It is great, but you have to bear in mind grooms must be over 14, so you cant just nab the smallest person you find, and they do have to do exactly the same course the horse 4 in hands do...most shetties go HG and do a shorted maraton that is about 7K, to do the whole thing you would have to do 21 Km at an average 13HH ponies trot speed.