Shetlands on restricted grazing - when do I start giving them hay

harribea

Visit site
I've had my shetlands for 7 years but every year still feels like an experiment. One of them has had laminitis and was in for almost a year but he's been ok since then. They spend the winter increasingly out in the big field either with a tup or later with some (maturing) lambs and they pretty much munch it bare in time for spring, then they go into a much smaller fenced paddock over the summer. It's taken me a while to accept that they don't need very much at all, even though they come racing over to me every time I appear and act like they're starving.
The big field is now full of lush-looking grass ready for the winter so there's no way I'm letting them out there right now. But their paddock is now completely bare apart from scattered weeds and they're obviously feeling sorry for themselves, so I'm wondering if it's time to give them some hay? They are nibbling at the ground and, although you can see the faint diagonal line of their ribcage, they still look pretty solid to me, but definitely not obese. A while ago the vet said (tongue-in-cheek) I shouldn't worry until they look half-dead which will probably never happen. She said I should just send her a pic if I'm worried and she'll tell me I've nothing to worry about.
I just feel so bad...
How do you know when it's time to give them a little bit of hay?

meleeka

Visit site
If there’s very little to eat I don’t see any harm in giving them a handful of well soaked hay. I feed hay all year, although I’m sure they don’t always need it.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Count the droppings in a 24 hour period as well as looking at them objectively.
Shetlands are very good at storing fat.
Mine is in 2 x very bare paddocks during the day and in a pen with shelter at night, with a small net. She gives out she is starved, but putting out 8 to 10 piles in 24 hours.
She has had laminitis previously hence being penned half the time.

Its surprising what they can actually survive on ?

harribea

Visit site
Count the droppings in a 24 hour period as well as looking at them objectively.
Shetlands are very good at storing fat.
Mine is in 2 x very bare paddocks during the day and in a pen with shelter at night, with a small net. She gives out she is starved, but putting out 8 to 10 piles in 24 hours.
She has had laminitis previously hence being penned half the time.

Its surprising what they can actually survive on ?

They are definitely still pooping! Thx

Auslander

Visit site
They genuinely survive and thrive on next to nothing! MIne are out in the big field with the mares at the moment, as it's so brown and dry out there - but they usually live in a weed patch, and still manage to poo constantly. I do feed hay all year round, but they get a very small amount.