Shetlands

sojeph

Visit site
Don't ya just love em!!!
grin.gif

dogstig005.jpg

...ok, ok.... so lots of you don't but if people would just treat them like any other horse/pony and not like a dog then there wouldn't be so many shitty ones about
crazy.gif
grin.gif

Fransurrey

Visit site
I love mine - he's a little old man that was abandoned. Such a lovely temperament (if a little stubborn!!), but I can't understand how anyone would abandon such a lovely ball of fluff! He would have been an excellent kiddies pony, but is too old for an adult to ride, now. I backed him, but can't enjoy. Not fair!!

Theresa_F

Visit site
Very cute - what some people do not realise is that they are working ponies, very intelligent and not just a pet. Yes they should be treated as you would a horse.

All the ones I have know treated as working ponies have been lovely, the ones that have been treated as ornaments and never worked or kept in line can be horrible.

threeponies

Visit site
I've got 2 shetlands, and they are the nicest, sweetest ponies ever. They are related, one older than the other, both black and people can't tell them apart. My older one is a fantastic kid's pony but is now retiring due to having had surgery on his foot. Well bred, well handled Shetlands are hard to find but they are worth it, cos they are lovely.

sojeph

Visit site
Well, I have to admit - mine is rising 7 and never done a days work (daughter sat on him once) BUT although cheeky and full of character, he knows how to behave just like my others.

Kermie

Visit site
I like Shetlands - especially Southerly Red Ember who won HOYS this year. I've been rooting for him since seeing him at PUK last year.

bellaboo

Visit site
My shettie is the biggest, cheeky little devil you could ever find, but i love him to bits, the kids ride him, he drives and is also a fab companion for my mare. Never a dull moment with him around!!

sojeph

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I love Shetlands! But then I also love Welshies, and they aren't everyone's cup of tea either!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I have one of those too-LOL!!!

jasminentig002.jpg

KarenX

Visit site

sojeph

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
And a JRT incredibly similar to mine (although mine is fatter!).

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha,ha...a shetland, a Welsh A, a JRT AND... wait for it.......

a coloured cob - hee, hee
grin.gif

Zebedee

Visit site
Fantastic!!! I love Shetlands - full of character & their own self importance - just like JRTs in fact...........

ru-fi-do

Visit site
I love shetlands too! Full of character and never a dull moment, apart from as you know from my earlier post sojeph, mine suffers terrible sweet itch. I got him for my little boy, but most of the time he is too sore and irritable for him to be around, he is only 5 though so hopefully if we get him working he will get all that cheekyness out of him! He love's being lunged and long reined.

sojeph

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Fantastic!!! I love Shetlands - full of character & their own self importance - just like JRTs in fact...........

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha, ha - you're right!! They're in the wrong bodies
grin.gif

sojeph

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I love shetlands too! Full of character and never a dull moment, apart from as you know from my earlier post sojeph, mine suffers terrible sweet itch. I got him for my little boy, but most of the time he is too sore and irritable for him to be around, he is only 5 though so hopefully if we get him working he will get all that cheekyness out of him! He love's being lunged and long reined.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well as anyone with excema or a horse/pony with sweet itch will agree, your little ponio is entitled to be irritable. Bless im
grin.gif

Chumsmum

Visit site
Shetlands rule!! My minis have never been ridden but have a 'job' as companions to two yearlings. My YO admits she wasn't looking forward to having them when I first moved on the yard but now thinks they are the best thing since sliced bread. I love this time of year when their winter coat has grown back too
smile.gif

sojeph

Visit site
Aw - mini's then - cute! A couple of people I know breed mini's and one of them breaks them all to ride with the help of a young friend of hers. You could drive them as a pair!!
grin.gif

Chumsmum

Visit site
My friend has just started breeding minis - can't wait for the foals next year
smile.gif
Norman has 'wonky' legs (he was born like that) so I don't think he could drive.. I am definitely going to take Cassidy to some local shows next year and show him in-hand - he is a right show off in the field so I hope it transfers to the ring!

moon_drop

Visit site
I love my shetland to bits, yes he is a little devil most of the time but would never sell him, I don't think we could sell him if we tryed lol. he is pain to catch, he kicks, bites but we love him.
His name is Ewan and he is 11yrs old now we had him for 8yrs now. He is backed but not ridden any more as can't get anyone small to ride him, he used to love jumping , he could easly jump2'9ft
wilanfde.jpg

ewan1.jpg