Shires bridle number kit - spare fixings

Cowpony

Visit site
OK I need some shopping help from you lovely people! I have a Shires bridle number kit, which is fixed to the bridle with some short elastic things, with a bit of metal at each end. Once you put the metal bit through the hole in the number holder you pull half the metal piece away from the elastic and it sits across the hole like a little T-bar, so the elastic doesn't slip back through. Hope that makes sense.

On my way to a competition yesterday I got my last spare fixing out of the packet, only for the metal bit to come away from the elastic in my hand. I cobbled together something from a couple of plaiting bands, but it's not a solution I want to use permanently because it's not very secure. Does anybody know where I can get more of the fixings from? I have searched on-line and assumed that when you found the kit there would be an additional suggestion of spare fixings, but nothing! I've searched for elastic fixings, but got lots of suggestions for bungee cords. I really don't want to have to spend another £17.50 on a kit, just to get the spare elastic thingies.

Failing that, does anybody have a recommendation for a good bridle number kit that doesn't rely on flimsy elastic things that break?

Thanks in advance.

oldie48

Visit site
I've given up on bridle numbers and use ones for the saddle pad instead, so if you do have to buy new have a look at these I think they are much less intrusive. sorry i can't help with the bits that you are looking for.

Branna

Visit site
I've lost a couple of these but luckily still have some spare from another set. When I lost one running late to a test I have used a large safety pin to attach the saddle pad which worked well.
I would email Shires direct regarding replacements. I've done this before with lost jacket buttons and the company (not Shires) sent me a few with no charge!

Cowpony

Visit site
Aha! I remembered that the string versions are called treasury tags. Searched for that and there are people selling elastic versions. Not quite the same as the Shires ones, but should work just as well. Will send for some and give them a go. Thanks for all your suggestions.