Shivering cob

Adrienne88

Visit site
On Friday I fully clipped my cob as he is just so hot, legs off too as he has mites. I put a 100g lightweight with neck on after. The following day I got him in and he was bardgey and seemed up a height, took his rug off and he was shivering, after a walk around it seemed to stop so I put him back out. Tonight I have brought him in again and he's doing the same. So he's in over night with a fleece and stable rug on, I have a heavier rug for turnout tomorrow. Does it sound like he's cold or something I should get the vet for? His coat was extremely thick and this was the first time he's ever been fully clipped.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
ditto, it sounds like he is out at night? but also cold during the day as you get him in in the evening?
It can take them a few days to upregulate/be used to having no coat.

Also, does he have free access to forage.

TGM

Visit site
Yes, agree with the others, sounds like he is feeling the cold. A 100g might have been OK after clipping if the weather had stayed mild but temperatures have suddenly dropped. You don't necessarily have to stable him overnight if that is not his normal routine, just make sure he has warmer turnout rugs on and access to adlib forage.

Reactions: JJS

Adrienne88

Visit site
Thanks everyone, I was leaving him out as long as possible but the weather has now changed so it's in at nights now, from tonight. Still plenty grass in his field. I'll try a 200g rug on him tomorrow and see how he goes. I feel awful :(

Reactions: DD

Adrienne88

Visit site
I also only put a 100g on as before he was clipped he would get hot in just a rain sheet. I think I've underestimated how cold he would be!

Reactions: DD

Myloubylou

Visit site
Don’t feel bad, I got caught out with the rain the other weekend when was lovely sunny & mild in the morning. Both Welsh ds with chaser clips, 19 year old fine with bit of rain despite no rug but the 5 year old shivering. Depends on the horse. Wasn’t supposed to rain till the night but put fleece on and gave her big haynet & she was fine

mini-eventer

Visit site
I would say my natives coat is the equivalent to a 200gm rug. Horses coats are very efficient at keeping them warm. So if he is in a 100gm with a full coat. Then I clip I would put him in a 300gm. Cobs and Natives are hardy but take their coat away and you take that hardiness away and some can be surprisingly wimpy.