Shivering when it's not that cold

whiteflower

Visit site
I've got a mare who has always felt the cold more than the others. These last few weeks I've brought her in a couple of mornings (out overnight) and she's been shivering. Temp has gone no lower than 12 degrees. This morning I bring her in, little shower of rain overnight, no lower than 14 and she's shivering. Takes at least half an hour to subside. Go to turn her out this eve with her having stood in all day in the dry, 19 degrees, she's shivering

She's idxtb, more Tb but not a twiggy thing, she's not unwell, temp normal, eating, drinking, pooing fine, well in herself. Year on year she is becoming less and less tolerant of anything less than 20 degrees !

She's gone out tonight with a light weight rug on. I hate over rugging and it goes against what I would normally do to put a sheet on at this time of year but she becomes grumpy when cold and snappy with the other horses. She also has previous back issues so I don't want her tensing her muscles up for prolonged periods.

So do I just accept she's very intolerant to anything but living in the Bahamas and rug her ? Has anyone had a horse like this and found any underlying reason causing it ? There are no other symptoms what so ever, she just seems to think anything below 20 degrees is chilly !

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I agree the temp has halved I even felt chilly yesterday and if there is not grass for them to eat they will feel the cold more, I think it can take time to adjust to the heat difference I put light weight rugs on mine tonight they didn't feel that warm and I am glad I did as it's now pouring with rain again.

whiteflower

Visit site
Yes I put rug on too and am glad as it's pouring, but my goodness do we need it. She's been doing it on and off all summer, even when it's been 34 during day then dropped to 14 at night, still too cold for her. I think she obviously just really doesn't do cold.
I did wonder if the lack of grass was an issue but they are leaving the hay round I put out so I will just pander to her if it keeps her happy !