Shivers - herbal support?

CBFan

Visit site
My 7 year old 17.2hh is a shiverer and suffers muscle tightness as a result, which he is treated for on a regular basis, however just recently he has shown an increased reluctance to move forward under saddle - just hacking at walk and trot - but up an down hills. We don't have anywhere flat to hack and he seems to struggle with going down hill more than up, which is also reflective of hind limb issues, of which he has none - has been thoroughly investigated.

Someone suggested I try him on Devils Claw to see if that helps with the muscle soreness, but I understand it is quite acidic so I am wondering whether this would actually help or not? I saw another post recommending NAF detox?

Anyone got any other suggestions?

He is on a high oil, low sugar, low stark diet and turned out 24/7 on undulating terrain.

the shadster

Visit site
I have a 20yo shiverer for whom I have recently employed the services of a herbal vet. He is being treated with a combination of herbs & laser light therapy and the improvement 6 weeks in is quite something. He was trimmed last week and was easier to trim behind than he has been for several years. He is moving better and generally seems much happier. The thing I really like about it is the vet is able to tailor the herbs to suit the individual horse, taking into consideration temperament, any digestive issues, supporting the immune system etc. I'm lucky I have a herbal vet very near to me which probably keeps the cost down but to give u an idea the herbs cost roughly £50 a month & laser light therapy is £20 per session. My horse has shivered since he was about 7 and I have had him on the high oil, low sugar/starch diet for quite some years with no real improvement but with this the difference is quite marked.

cundlegreen

Visit site
If you could read Pat Coleby's book Natural Horse Care, there is a lot in there about mineral deficiencies being responsible for a whole raft of problems, shivering and stringhalt amongst them. I know a firm who do a test on a urine sample to determine what the horse is deficient in. PM, if you want a contact number.

CBFan

Visit site
Thank you for your comments. I went out and bought some devils claw, together with some other herbs for detox purposes. I started him on them last night so watch this space.

I will also look into the suggestions above. Many Thanks.

The herbs aren't for treating the shivers, they are for treating the associated muscle tightness, tension, soreness and stiffness that is caused by the shivers.