Shock absorbing Stirrup irons

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
I cannot find any of the newer style stirrup irons like the Flex on and Free jumps without those horrible grippy foot plates. Do you have any recommendation for some sort of stirrup that is shock absorbing for my ankles and knees etc. but doesn't come with either a cheese grater or protruding pin foot plate?

I have had the bow balance but they are no longer quite doing the trick for my ankles. Any others I have found that are lovely and comfortable also have that grippy thing going on that I hate. Due to physical issues I frequently shift my foot around slightly when readjusting my position to be more comfortable and I really don't want my foot rigidly stuck to the foot plate.

Any idea please?

Skib

sites.google.com
My Sprenger - the original straight ones. I need two sizes, one for winter and one for summer boots. My RI who does RDA insisted I use them for hacking to reduce stress on my old joints.
Do not be tempted by cheaper look alike. The springs inside can rust and are not the same.

Cowpony

Visit site

eggs

Visit site
I've been using Flex-ons for a couple of years now having swapped from my Sprengers. I have arthritis in my left knee and a broken right ankle which now has limited movement and I find the Flex-ons to be the only stirrups I can ride in and by pretty much pain free.

Cowpony

Visit site
Thanks shooting star and cow pony - I like the look of those but didn't know I could get them without the spikes. How do you find them comfort wise?

I love mine! I have a reconstructed ACL and was in pain jumping and whenever I got off my horse. With the flex-ons I forget I've even injured it ?

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
I've been using Flex-ons for a couple of years now having swapped from my Sprengers. I have arthritis in my left knee and a broken right ankle which now has limited movement and I find the Flex-ons to be the only stirrups I can ride in and by pretty much pain free.

I must say I am leaning towards the Flex on Safe on ones. but my goodness the price! :oops:

eggs

Visit site
I must say I am leaning towards the Flex on Safe on ones. but my goodness the price! :oops:

My trainer thought I was bonkers spending so much on a pair of stirrups. Then she rode my horse with them and promptly went out and bought a pair for herself.

there are places that let you try them before you buy. Can’t think of them off the top of my head but Google will probably find them for you.

TPO

Visit site
My trainer thought I was bonkers spending so much on a pair of stirrups. Then she rode my horse with them and promptly went out and bought a pair for herself.

there are places that let you try them before you buy. Can’t think of them off the top of my head but Google will probably find them for you.

A2B equestrian does trials I'm sure, they have an online shop too.

I've never ridden in them but a friend has two pairs and swears by them

Shelly Taylor

New User
Visit site

Just a little add on to the Flex on Safe on - my daughter lost a screw after a fall and I contacted flex on direct (French Company) and they have offered replacement screws free of charge! Nice touch for customer service. Also just to add the stirrup completely pops apart in the event of any fall pressure from the foot. Would recommend these even though the price is high.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
Well I did treat myself to a beautiful pair of the flex on Safe ons . Unfortunately nearly 5 months later they are still sitting all sparkly and new in their box. I haven't ridden since due to an accident - If I ever get to ride again I will let you know if they are as fabulous as they look in the box! :oops::D

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
There was a write up recently re stirrups. It said that all these new fangled stirrups arnt needed. It said a majority of people have their feet placed wrong in the stirrup. Apprently if you have the foot tread just behind the ball of your foot the shock is absorbed where it should be!! Must say I have tried it and yes it really helped.

Cdjwannabe

New User
Visit site
I bought flex on safe on stirrups in the summer. They were inclined ultra grip, as recommended by the retailer. I had a fall getting on my horse and my foot was completely wedged in the stirrup. I was completely stuck and had to get helped out. Had I been alone, or horse had moved, I could have been seriously injured if not worse. I only had my toe in the stirrup but because they are grippy and quite small, my average size boot was stuck. Got rid straight away, so incredibly dangerous!

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
I only had my toe in the stirrup but because they are grippy and quite small, my average size boot was stuck. Got rid straight away, so incredibly dangerous!

That does sound a bit worrying - and one of the reasons I sold on my lovely pair of Acavallo stirrups - they were so grippy with the little steel pins (I found myself (5'4") hopping along beside my 17.3 horse when he walked away from the mouthing block!") with a great deal of difficulty I managed to pull him to a halt and pull my firmly gripped foot from the stirrup - so yes those pointy little pins could be very dangerous in some situations.

Or was it more that your boot size just wasn't suitable for those particular stirrups? I know I carefully measured the width of my widest boots and double checked with Flex -on before I bought.

I have bought the normal grip ones though so hopefully if I ever do ride again and try them out they won't be such an issue because there is no way I can hop anywhere even after I have managed to get myself 'fixed' lol!