Shock pregnancy!

Jojo66

Visit site
So after a few obvious changes in a mare I bought 2 months ago I have had her scanned and she is in foal and due in 2-3 weeks! After the shock and feeling a bit stupid I am excited but a bit apprehensive. Fortunately she is kept at home and we have the facility to cope. She is a super sweet mare and has been an absolute sweetheart. Has anyone else been in this situation and apart from watching endless YouTube videos do you have any advice. Just to add the previous owner claims to know nothing and says it must have happened before they had her.

Jojo66

Visit site
Yay a bogof!! Fingers crossed it all goes well. Where did she come from before the seller? They didn’t keep her too long.
Apparently Ireland but very vague. They obviously loved her but she was still a bit of a rescue project and not in great condition but she has built up loads in the time I’vd had her. Got some good advice from the vet but i’ve never been through it before

Caol Ila

Visit site
Yeah. Me. This past June. The 3-year old filly I'd bought back in March looked suspicious. I called the vet. I asked the vet if the filly could be reacting to the clover or the grass. The vet said, "If she doesn't foal this week, I will eat my hat." Lucky for the vet, she did not have to eat her hat. I was not feeling so lucky. I really did not want a foal, but he showed up anyway. His mother went nuts, like a postpartum thing, and would run like a bloody feral mustang if she saw a rope or headcollar. I questioned many life choices. Most of them. All of them.

The foal is now a little over two months old. He is now halter broken and leads, and his mum has got her head around the last 5000 years of domestication. Everyone is now amenable to catching and basic handling, but for the first month, it was very much Type III fun.

Jojo66

Visit site
Yeah. Me. This past June. The 3-year old filly I'd bought back in March looked suspicious. I called the vet. I asked the vet if the filly could be reacting to the clover or the grass. The vet said, "If she doesn't foal this week, I will eat my hat." Lucky for the vet, she did not have to eat her hat. I was not feeling so lucky. I really did not want a foal, but he showed up anyway. His mother went nuts, like a postpartum thing, and would run like a bloody feral mustang if she saw a rope or headcollar. I questioned many life choices. Most of them. All of them.

The foal is now a little over two months old. He is now halter broken and leads, and his mum has got her head around the last 5000 years of domestication. Everyone is now amenable to catching and basic handling, but for the first month, it was very much Type III fun.
This made me smile at the end. At least I’m not alone and crossing my fingers it all goes ok

TheMule

Visit site
She looks a lovely mare so ?
There's tonnes of info available on the internet to help, I would look into getting some pool test strips so you can more accurately judge how close she is to foaling to save weeks of sleepless nights. Good luck!

Jojo66

Visit site
She looks a lovely mare so ?
There's tonnes of info available on the internet to help, I would look into getting some pool test strips so you can more accurately judge how close she is to foaling to save weeks of sleepless nights. Good luck!
Thanks. I started the ph testing yesterday so hopefully that helps with knowing when she is closer to the big day!

Parrotperson

Visit site

uh. Where's the pictures?! We love a bogof!

JJS

Visit site
As mentioned, you might want to take a look at my BOGOF thread from four years ago. I was given so much help and advice. You’ll probably find some of the information passed onto me really useful :)

Jojo66

Visit site
As mentioned, you might want to take a look at my BOGOF thread from four years ago. I was given so much help and advice. You’ll probably find some of the information passed onto me really useful :)
Thanks - I read it all through yesterday! Flower is gorgeous any Mary was so good. I‘m obsessed with watching Tilly and reading loads. I hope I have a good outcome like you.

Reactions: JJS

TheMule

Visit site
Oh my goodness, what a cutie! And he looks really smart too, I think you've got very lucky. Any clues as to who the sire might be?