Shocked at Musto using real fur on equestrian jackets

Vickijay

Visit site
Hi.

I'm looking for a new coat and after some searching I decided on a nice musto coat.

This one-

https://www.musto.com/womens-clothing/coats-jackets/glacier-down-jacket-black.html

I just read the information and found it has real coyote fur on the hood. I'm really shocked by this, especially on an equestrian jacket.

It says it's an ethically sourced fur. A quick google doesn't have many nice things to say about that. It says that traps are set for starving coyotes and then they are killed. The page I looked on also says the traps have to be checked every 3 days, so an animal could be trapped for 3 days.

I think it's awful and I almost feel like I got it wrong, but I don't think I did :(

9522A8A2-BE45-410A-9F01-3E0492A5612C.png

Thoughts?

:(

Tobiano

Visit site
oh no! I have loads of musto stuff, nothing with anything remotely like fur, but if this is the case I may have to boycott them in future.

How is fur from a starving coyote remotely desirable in any case? Ugh.

gryff

Visit site
I ordered this coat not realising this. I was so disappointed at the quality of it when it turned up - no way did it look/feel worth the money.

NeedNewHorse

Visit site
Thank you so much for highlighting this to me, I shall never purchase musto again, and I shall write to them (maybe we all could). Plus, there is nothing ever ethical about fur, and nor is there ever a reason to purchase it.

EmmaC78

Visit site
There is a post on their FB page about it. I have just commented on it as well. Maybe if a few more people do it will force a rethink by Musto.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Do we know where the down comes from? Do people have the same issues with that? I can't find anything about source.

NZJenny

Visit site
So there is fur and fur - in New Zealand possums are introduced pests that are causing huge damage to our native flora as well as killing the native bird life.

Gaining access to a lot of New Zealand's native bush is not easy and poison is one method of control that is used. It is hugley controversial for lots of reasons, but it is hard to see how trapping could keep on top of the problem in the amount required.

Where access is easier, including around farmland (possums pass TB onto cattle) trapping is the norm, how long it takes them to die, I don't know. But give the devestation they cause it is a problem that needs an aggressive approach or the consequences would be devestating.

Possum fur is used for all sorts here - best when it is mixed with merino (sheep) wool and knitted into socks, hats, gloves and scarves. It is also used as fur trim in lots of things and you can buy possum fur throws if that's your thing.

teapot

Visit site
Thank you so much for highlighting this to me, I shall never purchase musto again, and I shall write to them (maybe we all could). Plus, there is nothing ever ethical about fur, and nor is there ever a reason to purchase it.

Do you say the same about leather?

I'd be interested to read Musto's side on this one before passing judgment.

numptynoelle

Visit site
Would definitely be interested in Musto's response - from the other woman's coats/jackets, all of the other ones with furry hoods seem to be faux fur, so I wonder why there is real fur only on this one particular design (this was just a quick look on the website, I may have missed one, willing to be corrected!)

NeedNewHorse

Visit site
Fur is no different to leather.

Do you say the same about leather?

I'd be interested to read Musto's side on this one before passing judgment.

Please, are you in all honesty comparing an animal dying for a trim of a jacket, to leather a by-product that is used for a multitude of purposes? (And I am veggie/trying to transition to vegan, do not buy leather ((horses have second hand leather from years ago)) and just trying to be as ethical as possible).

Arizahn

Visit site
I regularly feed my dogs rabbits, and this involves portioning up the little critters first; half a rabbit each does them nicely, and the cats enjoy the innards. Innards are very smelly btw. Anyhow, I'm often tempted to keep the pelts and use them to make myself a nice warm coat for the winter. Maybe a hat and gloves too. Or else a rabbit skin seat saver...hmm. My only real problem is that the dogs rather enjoy eating the pelts, and I'd hate to deprive them.

teapot

Visit site
Please, are you in all honesty comparing an animal dying for a trim of a jacket, to leather a by-product that is used for a multitude of purposes? (And I am veggie/trying to transition to vegan, do not buy leather ((horses have second hand leather from years ago)) and just trying to be as ethical as possible).

Depending on where that coyote fur has come from, the meat may well be being eaten (just to play devil's advocate). I also wouldn't necessarily say that all leather comes as a by-product of the meat industry.

popsdosh

Visit site

You are quite happy to ride a horse though who to some seems a form of abuse. The Kyote are going to die anyway so might as well make use of this resource rather than add carbon to the atmosphere producing a man made fur! Theres ethics and theres ethics im afraid sometimes people require the real article.

Spring Feather

Visit site
Depending on where that coyote fur has come from ..

I wonder where the coyote came from; looks pretty poor quality coyote fur to me. I'm used to seeing very thick coyote fur trims over here. Maybe it is a summer pelt though, but if I were buying that expecting warm, thick fur I'd be disappointed (based on the photos)

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
I regularly feed my dogs rabbits, and this involves portioning up the little critters first; half a rabbit each does them nicely, and the cats enjoy the innards. Innards are very smelly btw. Anyhow, I'm often tempted to keep the pelts and use them to make myself a nice warm coat for the winter. Maybe a hat and gloves too. Or else a rabbit skin seat saver...hmm. My only real problem is that the dogs rather enjoy eating the pelts, and I'd hate to deprive them.

When I was a child I had a lovely pair of rabbit skin mittens, made by my Grandad, we had already eaten the previous incumbant. The rabbit had lived wild and my Grand parents did not like waste!

twobearsarthur

Visit site

As a Vegan I do find people's attitudes toward killing one type of animal being acceptable and another animal not acceptable very perplexing.
So killing an animal for fur isn't ok but
killing an animal for meat and having a leather by product is ok? If we ate the animal that produced the fur would that be ok? The animal is still killed and to be honest usually in no more of a humane way.
I am not a fluffy bunny hugger either. I have in my time slaughtered my own animals for consumption!
I just don't understand how as a society in general there is an uproar regarding fur and not the less cute and fluffy creatures?

NeedNewHorse

Visit site
As a Vegan I do find people's attitudes toward killing one type of animal being acceptable and another animal not acceptable very perplexing.
So killing an animal for fur isn't ok but
killing an animal for meat and having a leather by product is ok? If we ate the animal that produced the fur would that be ok? The animal is still killed and to be honest usually in no more of a humane way.
I am not a fluffy bunny hugger either. I have in my time slaughtered my own animals for consumption!
I just don't understand how as a society in general there is an uproar regarding fur and not the less cute and fluffy creatures?

Well, I don't buy "leather' but still use it, as I personally think it would quite frankly be ridiculous to chuck away as my feelings towards animals / ethics become stronger. But my point, which sadly has been missed is that whilst I do not condone leather, I condone no killing of animals, leather is still ultimaty a by product (general leather) where I'm pretty sure (not 100%) that coyote died for their fur and fur alone. So killing an animal simply to trim a coat, as some 'prefer' the real article is shocking. On some level, to kill for fashion hits harder than meat, (resulting in other uses/products) Fashion serves no purpose, whereas food at least provides people with energy to maintain life. (However, I am very much against meat eating).

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Well, I don't buy "leather' but still use it, as I personally think it would quite frankly be ridiculous to chuck away as my feelings towards animals / ethics become stronger. But my point, which sadly has been missed is that whilst I do not condone leather, I condone no killing of animals, leather is still ultimaty a by product (general leather) where I'm pretty sure (not 100%) that coyote died for their fur and fur alone. So killing an animal simply to trim a coat, as some 'prefer' the real article is shocking. On some level, to kill for fashion hits harder than meat, (resulting in other uses/products) Fashion serves no purpose, whereas food at least provides people with energy to maintain life. (However, I am very much against meat eating).

I should imagine that Coyotes are killed as vermin, much as rabbits etc are.

twobearsarthur

Visit site
I understand that you don't buy leather. A lot of vegans don't buy leather but will use preowned leather goods. (I didn't miss your point) I understand your ethics perfectly and obviously agree 100% with them. Maybe I didn't separate your comment from the rest of my post well enough (sorry) sometimes what's in my head doesn't read so well on paper lol.
What i meant to say was that I don't understand how in general the public somehow categorise which animals are ok and not ok to kill/abuse. Milk and egg production being a particular pet hate of mine.
I personally don't understand why killing a living thing for fashion is anymore shocking then killing it for any other reason? It's still being killed.
Obviously meat is in no way a necessity to maintain life and its production is actually a very wasteful way of providing food.
I just think that if someone thinks it's ok to kill a living being to make a burger you can't really say it's not ok to kill it for fur. The end result for the animal is still the same.
Obviously these are just my own opinions and in no way need to affect the way anyone else views our treatment of animals but if you can watch "Earthlings". Please do. An empty strong stomach is advised though.

teapot

Visit site
I understand that you don't buy leather. A lot of vegans don't buy leather but will use preowned leather goods. (I didn't miss your point) I understand your ethics perfectly and obviously agree 100% with them. Maybe I didn't separate your comment from the rest of my post well enough (sorry) sometimes what's in my head doesn't read so well on paper lol.
What i meant to say was that I don't understand how in general the public somehow categorise which animals are ok and not ok to kill/abuse. Milk and egg production being a particular pet hate of mine.
I personally don't understand why killing a living thing for fashion is anymore shocking then killing it for any other reason? It's still being killed.
Obviously meat is in no way a necessity to maintain life and its production is actually a very wasteful way of providing food.
I just think that if someone thinks it's ok to kill a living being to make a burger you can't really say it's not ok to kill it for fur. The end result for the animal is still the same.
Obviously these are just my own opinions and in no way need to affect the way anyone else views our treatment of animals but if you can watch "Earthlings". Please do. An empty strong stomach is advised though.

Agreed, and actually buying leather just encourages more meat production in for some meats, less than acceptable environments.

foraday

Visit site
All my musto gear will be off to the charity shop if this is the case!

Naughty Musto!!!!

And in this day and age STUPID!

teapot

Visit site
Sorry that should say 'more meat products, which for some meats, will be in less than acceptable environments'.

Spring Feather

Visit site
... leather is still ultimaty a by product

You are misinformed, it's not just a by-product. It's actually the most profitable part of a cow.

that coyote died for their fur and fur alone.

Definitely for its fur and because coyotes are in abundance and cause a lot of problems, not only to man but also to the ecosystem when their populations get out of control.

Alphamare

Visit site
Without weighing in much on the fur debate (I believe if you wear or use leather why would you have an issue with fur... Or the same argument stands for the down in the jacket!) is the milk and veal thing. I absolutely hate seeing someone vilify the veal industry while consuming any quantity of milk. Like that isn't the cause of the veal industry. At least by (rose) raising them the calves have a life (short) and a purpose they are not just wasted!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
It says it's an ethically sourced fur. A quick google doesn't have many nice things to say about that. It says that traps are set for starving coyotes and then they are killed. The page I looked on also says the traps have to be checked every 3 days, so an animal could be trapped for 3 days.

regardless of the arguments about whether to buy leather or not, and whether fur is a by-product or not, this is the bit that stands out for me. The coyote might well be starving and vermin. I feel pretty strongly about animal welfare but if the starving coyote met a humane end then I wouldn't be incensed about the use of its fur. But to think it might be stuck in a trap for 3 days, for the sake of a bit of trim for a coat is completely unacceptable (IMO ;))

Interested to hear the response from Musto, if any.