Shocked at this, indoor lessons and weather warning!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Surely it's lack of hydration, inability to sweat, and failure to do (or not be able to do) simple things like dousing your head (or all of you) in water that kills, not the actual temperature?

There are people all over the world who live in these temperatures and worse. We have close neighbours in the south of Europe who do it every year. And although they are acclimatised to it, we can do simple things like sticking our heads/wrists under a cold tap, or even visiting an air conditioned supermarket to cool down. But we do need to watch out for vulnerable neighbours.

teapot

Visit site
Surely it's lack of hydration, inability to sweat, and failure to do (or not be able to do) simple things like dousing your head (or all of you) in water that kills, not the actual temperature?

There are people all over the world who live in these temperatures and worse. We have close neighbours in the south of Europe who do it every year. And although they are acclimatised to it, we can do simple things like sticking our heads/wrists under a cold tap, or even visiting an air conditioned supermarket to cool down. But we do need to watch out for vulnerable neighbours.

Old article but this is how people end up dying - by not listening to their body!

What happens to the body in extreme heat? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-23358290

So hot countries survive by adapting their lifestyle etc. Meanwhile the UK changes nothing, cracks on doing stuff they would be in 18 degree temps when it’s plus 30 etc. That’s what kills people. Over 2000 people died in the last UK heatwave and they weren’t all elderly or vulnerable.

Starzaan

Visit site

This is the thing that is driving me insane. The way the news is talking it sounds like people all over the world just spontaneously start dropping dead where they stand as soon as the temperature goes above 35C.
It’s ludicrous. ??‍♀
yes a lot of the uk isn’t geared up to cope with heat like this, but we have had summers in the 30s for years, and I’m fairly confident the majority of the country is pretty sensible. I feel for those who are genuinely vulnerable in the heat, and hope they are all ok. But the way the news is reporting is making me so cross. My mother grew up in Singapore and Hong Kong, my father is South African and my family is flung all over the world. I have shared some of the headlines and reports with family abroad who are astounded by how melodramatic it is. I have yet to see people in Australia suddenly fall down dead because the thermometer went above 40. ??‍♀️
I certainly was working in 36C Last year, riding horses, teaching, mucking out etc as normal. Yes it’s hot, yes we swam more horses than we rode because we didn’t want staff to get sunburn too badly, and yes we stayed hydrated, but nobody keeled over where they stood simply because it was hot.

Last edited:

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I was in Fuerteventura last week Saturday and Sunday was 39 and humid it's normally a very windy fresh breeze and about 27, it was awful never known it so hot in the 18 years we have had a house there, a lot of the locals were saying they have not known it as hot so I think its climate change and it affects everywhere.

I think I had heat exhaustion on Monday I had a cold sweat and was shaking all over and went as white as a sheet, but we were out in the sun a lot we were drinking and eating quite a bit so probably over did it as we were on holiday like you do and I paid the price.

We may have to take measures and change how we do things if this going to be how our summers are now.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Ah, well if we're going to start talking about climate change killing people we need to remember how many vulnerable people die of the cold in winter who won't be dying if there are warmer winters.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Ah, well if we're going to start talking about climate change killing people we need to remember how many vulnerable people die of the cold in winter who won't be dying if there are warmer winters.

That might be 'evened out' by the ones who will be colder than usual as they can no longer afford heating

smolmaus

Visit site
I think I had heat exhaustion on Monday I had a cold sweat and was shaking all over and went as white as a sheet, but we were out in the sun a lot we were drinking and eating quite a bit so probably over did it as we were on holiday like you do and I paid the price.
Hope you didn't suffer too badly! I've definitely done the same thing a few times on holiday, very easy to over estimate your tolerance when you're having a good time.

I think this is probably why the media have been hammering home THIS CAN BE DANGEROUS. There will be people out in the garden with a cider enjoying themselves or going for a lovely walk in the sun and not fully realising that 42C is quite different from 32C. There are always going to be people making innocent mistakes and you want to minimise that number since some could be fatal! Accidents happen!

Its only going to be 28C here in gloriously cloudy NI but we still have ice cubes in the cats water bowls and the ponies only coming in to be hosed down.

onemoretime

Visit site
Easy to say when you don't have staff to pay and horses to feed! Would you be happy if your employer said "sorry, no pay this week as we haven't earned anything"? It sounds to me as if they have things under control.

Dont worry that just Dunroamin!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Hope you didn't suffer too badly! I've definitely done the same thing a few times on holiday, very easy to over estimate your tolerance when you're having a good time.

I think this is probably why the media have been hammering home THIS CAN BE DANGEROUS. There will be people out in the garden with a cider enjoying themselves or going for a lovely walk in the sun and not fully realising that 42C is quite different from 32C. There are always going to be people making innocent mistakes and you want to minimise that number since some could be fatal! Accidents happen!

Its only going to be 28C here in gloriously cloudy NI but we still have ice cubes in the cats water bowls and the ponies only coming in to be hosed down.

I was ok after about an hour laying in the aircon drinking water it was so embarrassing we were in a restaurant and we had to leave and get a cab home, I didn't feel great all day but carried on regardless and by evening I was done in, ? you could have rung my underwear out I had sweated that much luckily was absolutely fine the rest of the week.

It goes to show that it doesn't take much I didn't do anything too excessive really have certainly done a lot worse and survived ?

oldie48

Visit site
If you are young, healthy and sensible you will be fine. I take some medication which means I am not able to cope with the heat as well as I used to. I'm really lucky as I have some rooms that stay cool but if I lived in a home that was difficult to keep cool, it could be a serious problem for me.

Kaylum

Visit site
I have had heat stroke it is terrible. I was in bed for a week. Being extremely ill and getting more and more dehydrated. I nearly ended up I hospital. This was a good few years ago when getting corn in. Lesson learnt.

Sanguine

Visit site
Pretty sure one of the yards near me Is still running lessons.. in an out door arena but only walking - whether that's an hours walking lesson or half an hour. Bit of a yikes

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
I'm more worried about eldest daughter.

She lives in Sheffield which, according to Look North this morning, could reach 42° tomorrow.

I hope she thought to buy a fan!

It's currently 35.1°C at the weather station in Weston Park, and the weather man is talking about it being about 41°C tomorrow.

It was 31.5°C in my attic office through the morning until I put on the air conditioning and got it down to 25°C...

In the heat wave of 1976 the highest temperature for Yorkshire was something like 31°C at RAF Finningley, so really any comparison with that year is pointless. This year really is exceptional (or will be until next year).