Shocking ifor williams customer service

riversideeu

Visit site
I have had 2 Ifor Williams trailers for years without issue a 510 then a 505. I traded in the 505 2 years ago for a brand new 506. Shortly after that a family illness meant the trailer has only been used about 10 times. I arrived at a friends with a horse in to find a long strip of rubber dangling from the rear of the trailer. It had come from between the floor and crossbar underneath the trailer. I took it to where I bought it they looked and saw that it had not been put in correctly and had barely been caught by the screws it had therfore broken at the edge and come out. A £350 repair but I was not worried as they were contacting Ifor Williams to let them know it was faulty from new.
Big mistake they did not want to know as the trailer was over a year old and I had not noticed the fault before. This was because it only became apparent when it dropped out. Who crawls under their brand new trailer to check rubber strips underneath !!! Had I used the trailer weekly it would have occured in the first few months but customer care did not want to know. I have since researched and found out that their customer care is legendary in a bad way and I now fully agree. Beware. I will never buy another new Ifor Williams. My supplier only fairly recently took over the franchise and they too were shocked by their attitude.

AFB

Visit site
I'd genuinely be surprised if any company paid for a repair on a 2 year old product?

Really?

Most products come with a one year warranty, anything of more value tends to get a couple of years. Especially for a manufacturing fault.

Goldenstar

Visit site
They certainly repaired mine which had a faulty weld on the ramp the dealer repaired it and it reoccurred mainly I think because when it went I was unloading two heavy ID,s and the ramp was then slightly twisted .
The dealer dealt with IW’s and they replaced the ramp FOC .

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Well I have a 7 year warranty on the car ;) but if I bought an item with a 1 year warranty I wouldn't expect them to extend it if I hadn't used it much.

FrecklesTheCat

Visit site
I got money back on 2-year old tyres once. Kwit fit noticed that there was a manufacturing fault in them that had only become apparent with wear. They contacted the manufacturer and the manufacturer refunded based on the amount of tread still left on the tyres.

I would expect a company to take notice when a dealer contacts them to notify them of a manufacturing fault.

be positive

Visit site
If it is a manufacturing fault then you do have more rights under the sale of goods act than if it was just considered wear and tear, I would look at taking it further as it should be repaired free of charge, although your contract may be with the seller rather than the manufacturer they did make it and are the ones that let it slip through with the fault unnoticed.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
This is what is known as a "hidden defect"; it is a defect that should have been spotted and rectified by quality control before sale. The trailer was defective when it was sold, but the defect was not discovered until two years later.

Under French law, we are covered for two years from the moment the defect is discovered.

It might be worth your time to trawl through the Consumer Rights Act of 2015, and through European law to see if similar protection applies in the UK.

wkiwi

Visit site
This has nothing to do with warranty time or amount of use, but comes under the fit for purpose/faults section of the Sale of Goods Act. They have to repair free of charge, or replace, a faulty item even if it is out of warranty.
Because it was not put in correctly and the company you bought it off has seen that and admitted it then it is their responsibility to put it right at no cost to yourself.
I had exactly the same argument with a seller of Equitrek on behalf of a friend and quoted chunks of the Act to them. They at first said they had no responsibility and when i persisted they sent a cheque in the post (without an apology or note or anything but then we weren't going to ever use that retailer again anyway). It is their job to get the money back from the maker of the goods, not yours.

Edit - may have been consumer rights Act instead as think Sales of goods act is out of date one??

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
so the dealer that did the repair (and sold the trailer) should be footing the cost not getting the OP to contact IW?

riversideeu

Visit site
Thank you for all your replies I was about to just give up as Ifor Williams were so horrible saying it was out of warranty which I know but it was a manufacturing fault present from new as confirmed by the dealer . I have just collected the trailer after service and the man who did the service said the brakes etc were like new he could see it had hardly been used and the only fault was the one reported that was there from new. I will look into the acts quoted and get back to Ifor Williams.

wkiwi

Visit site
Thank you for all your replies I was about to just give up as Ifor Williams were so horrible saying it was out of warranty which I know but it was a manufacturing fault present from new as confirmed by the dealer . I have just collected the trailer after service and the man who did the service said the brakes etc were like new he could see it had hardly been used and the only fault was the one reported that was there from new. I will look into the acts quoted and get back to Ifor Williams.

Your rights are against the retailer, not the manufacturer so the dealer is responsible and you shouldn't have to deal with IW. Don't let the dealer palm you off, as apparently this is quite commonly tried.
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/contents/enacted

riversideeu

Visit site
Yes I have been palmed off I think. The dealer agrees the fault was present from new but only manifested itself recently but could get no joy from Ifor Williams which is why I gave it a try. I have now drawn their attention to the relevant section of the Consumer Rights act 2015 so will see where that takes me but will recontact the dealer to make them aware that it is them not me who should be sorting this out and not taking the fact that my 1 year warranty has expired to refuse to rectify a fault present from new.

OldFogie

Provocateur
Visit site
If it is a manufacturing fault then you do have more rights under the sale of goods act than if it was just considered wear and tear, I would look at taking it further as it should be repaired free of charge, although your contract may be with the seller rather than the manufacturer they did make it and are the ones that let it slip through with the fault unnoticed.

This completely. You are covered against this kind of fault by the firm you bought from NOT the manufacturer - fine if the manufacturer re-emburses his franchisee but this is NOT your concern - persue the retailer.

While saying that, I am all for Spreading the Love - if someone has done me a good turn I praise them but if not I tell all who will listen or can read. Make a large sign, say paint an old sheet with a catchy phrase - in your case it might be "Don't come too close to this I*** Willams trialer 'cos bits fall off!" Take some photos and send one to their Managing Director telling him that it will stay on your trailer - at every show until you get satisfaction.

I have had quite good results doing this - and one appearance at Magistrates Court (though this was rather an indirect result of a sign protest.)

riversideeu

Visit site
Thanks for that In will wait to see what Ifor Williams say then contact the dealer. Yes I am one for praise when it is due and always contact people if they have given good service. Ifor Williams sadly not.

riversideeu

Visit site
Just a quick update and a big thank you for all your help especially those who told me about the Consumer Rights act. Having reminded customer care at Ifor Williams of their responsibilities under this act they have now kindly agreed to correct the defect that was present from new so a big thank you to them too. Just a shame I had to point it out to them but at least they are doing the right thing now.

wkiwi

Visit site
Well done - it's not easy to complain and stick to it when they resist, but at least it is sorted now and the company might be more responsive to others in the future :) :) :)