Shockwave therapy for ‘hole’ in branches of fetlock.

EquestrianFairy

Visit site
Today I had my gelding scanned as we think he had pulled a ligament in his fetlock.
We were right, infact he had a hole in the fibres where the branches connect.

He’s already on week 3 of box rest- the vet has said there is a 50% chance he won’t jump again and I am devastated.
He said I can try shock wave therapy- has anyone tried this?

In addition has anyone just turned away for a year instead?

Last edited:
Visit site
I have no experience of shock wave therapy but plenty of racehorses - flat, hurdle and chase - do various ligaments and come back to racing not a problem. Most will have nothing more done with them than both rest and controlled exercise and time.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
When mine had damage to his distal sesamoidian ligament - i.e. a hole my vet carried out platelet-rich plasma therapy. It was done at the same time as doing an annular ligament op. He was 19 and recovered to be ridden again. He’s now 22yrs and touch wood ok.

He’s had shock-wave but that was on his spine and SI. No experience of it on that type of injury.

gunnergundog

Visit site
He’s had shock-wave but that was on his spine and SI. No experience of it on that type of injury.

Do you think the shock wave had a positive effect on the SI? Just asking as have just had my horse's SI medicated and there has been talk about shock wave but I can't find any scientific papers to support in that area.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Do you think the shock wave had a positive effect on the SI? Just asking as have just had my horse's SI medicated and there has been talk about shock wave but I can't find any scientific papers to support in that area.

Personally I don’t think it had a significant if any impact. Medication along with physio had a greater impact. I was rigorous in my physio exercises and used a tens machine under the guidance of my physio. His is a chronic long-term issue and I accepted he wouldn’t do the affiliated dressage I wanted to but we’ve still managed to do lots and have lots of fun in the last 12 years. He’s still active at 22yrs which is a miracle really :)