Shod, how often?

Has MIstral_shining now lost it?

• Total voters

tuscanyD

Visit site
Varies - sometimes every four weeks in the summmer - over winter she can go up to 8 weeks.

The drier weather seems to make her hoofs more crumbly.

The wet weather on the other hand gives her a touch of mud fever. You can't win can you

princesskelly

Visit site
same problem as me! i use hoof moisture in summer to stop hoofs drying out. her feet dont grow very fast so for poppy it's just a case of how quick she wears down the shoes. at the most it's 8 weeks but that only happens in the winter.

K9Wendy

Visit site
Actually we go 7 weeks but clicked on 6 as we'd never go over 7 but have been known to do 6. Our farrier is brilliant and started her on 8 (as last farrier recommended that) but reduced her to 7 and is currently happy with that..

miamibear

Visit site
I put 6 weeks but mine is shod at the moment every 5 weeks with the intention of getting him on 6 week cycles but he needs keeping an eye on until they are back to normal!

KatB

Visit site
There wasnt one for me!! 5wks
smile.gif

Tempi

Visit site
There wasnt one for me - Bloss is done every 5 wks in the winter and 4 in the summer..........costs me a fortune, Archie will be done the same amount of weeks as Bloss.

moon_drop

Visit site
every 8 weeks all four of my lot are trimmed. Or when the farrier turns up
frown.gif
. he was due ten days ago and didn't turn up he phone last night
grin.gif
and he said he would be on the 30th of this month. there was no sorry for not turning up or no reason way he wasn't there
mad.gif
. He never done this before so i didn't say anything to him on the phone last night. he is our sixth farrier in three years ( nothing to do with my horses or me). so I have to put up wtih this one he not that really!!!!
wink.gif
Farrier's are a very rare thing up here in the north east of scotland.

vicm2509

Visit site
Mine was 5 weeks when I bought him as his feet were quite bad and he kept loosing shoes. Now I add biotin and use keratex and my farrier cant believe the improvement and does him every 6-8 weeks, the last ones lasted 8. I dont do much road work though.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Loan horse is an every 4 weeks type of gal. Amymay was every 5 weeks - now she is unshod she is trimmed when she needs it.

ExRacers

Visit site
Both mine shod every 5 weeks @ £50 each which includes rolled toes and road nails for one of them. Also we book up all the shoeing dates for the year in January so guaranteed to get a day you want!

threeponies

Visit site
My mare is only shod in front, has never cast a shoe or even had a loose shoe. She is shod every 8 weeks, the shetlands get a trim then, tooo. It costs £26 for half set and back feet trimmed, £25 for removes. (That's hot shoeing, btw.)