whoa there :p
smirk.gif
grin.gif
smile.gif

for showing .

How do you prepare a yearling for 2 front shoes ? for showing

*god i feel like im saying this all the time*
smirk.gif
As most of you know missy is for balmoral in may , she has to have 2 front shoes on , Will hopefully be getting them on about 10 days or so before so that she can become used to them and will not be lame or sore when the day comes .

How do you prepare for this ? OR can you prepare ? ?

Shes picking up her feet fine and doesnt bother her .

Gingernags

Visit site
How strange!!! That is (not your fault obviously) but the silliest rule I've ever heard! Shoes shouldn't be compulsory for horses for anything!!!!

I know I don't do barefoot with Asti, and I admit she was shod in front from about 18 months/2 years - that was with recommendation from a farrier to support her feet growing out a hole and as she had very poor feet and couldn't cope that summer! But she was an exception!

Crackers!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Is it in their rule book??? Double check.

Any way obviously your farrier has been trimming her - so the next step is the shoes. Ask him to put as lightweight a steel on as possible. Not regular shoes, as they will simply be too heavy.

airedale

Visit site
totally agree

you could also consider putting racing plates on 2 days before - very light and they are shoes - even if they aren't iron.

K9Wendy

Visit site
In the schedule it says yearlings, 2 & 3yr olds must be shown without hind shoes, but no mention that they have to be shod! Do you think they mean if noramally shod, no hinds for the show? Or is it normal for them to be shod?

ColleenIsh

EVERY THING IS POSSIBLE
I just rang farrier funnily enough just there now about racing plates airedale , So I think I will go with this , may have to check with balmoral though for this .

Amymay Yes it is in their rules and regulations .

Farrier has been trimming her feet yes .

Dont know what the reasons behind it though .

aimeerose

Visit site
lots of foot picking up, holding, banging with the back of a body brush etc.

then ask the farrier for racing plates? or the very light weigh show pony plates?

thats what i'd do

seaview

Visit site
My baby was shoed from she was a yearling (not choice! it was recommended) anyway she was great stood like a lamb if they are well handled I dont see it being a problem,

Now she is a big girl (3 LOL) and broken it was no major thing to have shoes on!

Nat
x

LouHardwick

Visit site
I cant say I have ever heard of that before!!
what is the point? So to show there you have to have them shod in front? ridiculous in my opinion!
Never heard that before.how strange.
confused.gif
confused.gif

Imonone

Visit site
What a terrible idea, you could end up ruining her feet. Would be interested if you ever find out why this rule is in place.

Sure she will be fine though, especially if she has been well handled and you have a patient farrier. Good Luck

druid

Visit site
I wouldn't take her - there's plenty of other big ag. shows with youngstock classes which don't have bloody ridiculous rules like that. Even Dublin doens't have requirements about showing except that they may not be shod behind!!

Sooty

Visit site
Totally agree. I wouldn't dream of shoeing Beano unless it was for medical reasons; I am not intending shoeing him at all unless necessary and wouldn't want to ruin his feet. I wonder if someone has interpreted the 'no shoes behind' rule as 'must be shod in front'. It might be worth ringing again and speaking to someone else... If not, I would be tempted to give that show a miss.

K9Wendy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately thats what they have said, Yearlings have to have 2 front shoes on . If I thought I could get away with not shoeing her then I would :S

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure the person you spoke to got it right? I have no doubt that you were told this but is there any chance they got it wrong? http://www.balmoralshow.co.uk/documents/prize-schedule.pdf page 21 of schedule, it just says no hind shoes no mention of must have front shoes. I would interpret that as meaning if shoes are fitted then only fronts..

Although if you are happy to have shoes then there is no harm. Won't be long now.. Hope weather holds out.. I hate Balmoral in the rain..

sleepingdragon10

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't take her - there's plenty of other big ag. shows with youngstock classes which don't have bloody ridiculous rules like that. Even Dublin doens't have requirements about showing except that they may not be shod behind!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Me either Druid. Shoeing just so she's eligible for this one show is madness IMO.....but if you do decide to go ahead(and I htink you'd be bonkers if you did
tongue.gif
) then go for something VERY light. Have to say I'd be deeply unhappy about anyone suggesting I shoe my little fella....

Bethxx

druid

Visit site
Thank goodness I'm not alone in my thoughts! Why chance ruining a perfectly good yearling for a blooming ribbon?!

ISHmad

Visit site
Can you get any glue on plastic type shoes in Ireland? They might be a good compromise. Seems obscene to nail shoes on to a yearling for the sake of one show, whoever made those rules should be shot...

sleepingdragon10

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Thank goodness I'm not alone in my thoughts! Why chance ruining a perfectly good yearling for a blooming ribbon?!

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts too Druid. It just really wouldn't sit right with me at all.

Tia

Visit site
I looked at this post earlier and couldn't actually believe my eyes...then I thought how awful is that, there's no way I would shoe for a show, but then we are all different and I'm sure I do many things which appear odd to others.

No way would I shoe a yearling, not even with lightweight shoes, if it wasn't absolutely necessary and advised by the vet and farrier for medical reasons. Glue-on shoes? Yes. Never ever nailed on shoes though; not just for the nails but also the concussion and the scariness of it all.

One other thing......and I'm sure no-one else on here is as dim as me.....but for all this time I have thought you were showing at Balmoral in Scotland!! I kept thinking .... WOW must be a super-duper horse!! How foolish of me.
blush.gif

viola

aspireequestrian.wordpress.com
I would also definitely stay away from shoeing a yearling. I would also probably call at least few more people to triple check if this rule really stands (as seems shocking!).
Other thing - I read about her problems with tendons; shoes will be far from helpful in this case
crazy.gif

Tia

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I read about her problems with tendons; shoes will be far from helpful in this case

[/ QUOTE ]

That was the FIRST thing that came into my mind
frown.gif