Shoeing and uneven wear

not_with_it

Visit site
I'm after some advice please as this has been niggling at me all weekend.

My horse is shod in front and barefoot at the back. She was last shod on monday.
On friday we went for a long hack and then I turned her out in the field. When I brought her in I was picking her feet out and thought the farrier had only put 3 nails in the shoe, all on one side. I could see the clenches but no nail heads in the bottom.
I phoned my farrier and he came out this morning, picked the foot up and said there were 6 nails but the nail heads had worn down. Feeling very embarrased I apologised and thought I was just being stupid then I started thinking.
Surely there shouldnt be so much of a difference to the point where 3 nail heads are clearly visible and the 3 on the other side are worn and level with the shoe. And all in 1 week.

I think I know the answer but just wanted your opinions.

thatsmygirl

Visit site
Makes me wonder if the feet are balanced. Most farriers go by eye but every few times my farrier will use the T bar to check all is in line and balanced. There is a chance if the horse is in pain he may not be moving quite right and compensating which is making them wear uneven

not_with_it

Visit site
I'm thinking they arent balanced. IMO there shouldnt be such a big difference from one side to the other.

I will ring my farrier on monday but wanted to make sure I wasn't going crazy.

vicky_sut

Visit site
Is it a new thing or something you just havent noticed before?
Have you watched how your horse puts its feet down, as in one side first or toe/ heel first?
My old horse started landing outside first on one front foot and it was a balance issue also that her toes were a bit long so just had to alter how she was shod.

not_with_it

Visit site
She has never had problems with her feet before.

For so much wear to happen in just 1 hack im thinking it has to be the way she was shod on monday. It wouldnt bother me as such if it was slight wear but to the point where I instantly thought the farrier had forgot to put nails in.
I cant think of a logical explanation for it.