Shoeing / nail question

Marnie

Visit site
My mare was shod on Friday, her feet were quite long as she had been left longer than usual due to having time off with a sore back.

I didn't ride her yesterday, and after I rode her today, I looked at her feet and noticed what looked like fluid coming from the last nail hole - it didn't look cloudy enough for pus, more like serum type oozing - as you would see in a clean wound - if you see what I mean! There wasn't masses of it, but a definite trail from the nail hole to the bottom of her foot. She wasn't lame and didn't seem sore when I banged about the area. The nail is a bit higher than the others, but not excessively so.

Anyone seen similar? Should I be worried??

Jen

baybeejay01

community.webshots.com
Never seen it and can't really help except to say I would phone the farrier and ask his opinion. If the nail is a bit higher than the others it may be worth him coming and resetting it as, although she isn't lame or sore at the moment, it could well get infected and be a problem later on.

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
I would phone the farrier as is suggested here, i have never heard of that either, i would get it checked out just to be safe, the feet are so delicate and vital and need alot of care and attention, i would get them checked personally.
Hope they are ok.

Fransurrey

Visit site
I would also phone the farrier, for the reasons above. Mine set a nail too high last time and I warned him that if it caused pain to my boy, he'd have a rasp up his ar*e!! Luckily it didn't (farrier is a friend, so could prove awkward if I injured him, lol), but I am not looking forward to removing them, as he also set the hinds too high and they were a nightmare to get off. Is your farrier using the correct length nails? Mine used horse nails on a 12hh pony, which I will not be allowing again!