Shoes AND boots?

fatponee

Visit site
Asking on behalf of a friend...

Her horse is currently shod infront but is getting foot sore behind. Would she be able to use hoof boots behind, at the same time as shoes are on on front? Or is this a recipie for disaster?

Thanks in advance, with a bar of Galaxy. :)

Shay

Visit site
I have no personal experience of barefoot boots - but this sounds like it could be problematic. You'd need to be sure the boots and shoes are the same height - you don't want the poor lad walking with his back feet higher than his front feet! Also might there be a problem with over reaching if the boots make his hind feet heavier than his front feet?

It might be better to either shoe all round or go barefoot all round.

fatponee

Visit site
Yes, I thought the same about the balance not being right :rolleyes:

She's been feeding him a barefoot diet for the past few months now, so diet should be ok. I think he's just sore as he hasn't been in consistent work for a while (due to lameness and then an abscess), plus we have very stony tracks for hacking, so his feet aren't used to the work yet.

Thanks for the comments, I will pass them on. :)

fatponee

Visit site
I know popping back shoes on is the obvious answer ;), but I think as I use boots on one of my horses and so does another livery at our yard, my friend is interested in using them!

TwoStroke

Visit site
Yes, I thought the same about the balance not being right :rolleyes:

She's been feeding him a barefoot diet for the past few months now, so diet should be ok. I think he's just sore as he hasn't been in consistent work for a while (due to lameness and then an abscess), plus we have very stony tracks for hacking, so his feet aren't used to the work yet.

Thanks for the comments, I will pass them on. :)

If she's expecting the feet to improve, then perhaps just ease up on the work until his feet catch up? Horses are often less footy in the winter due to the lack of grass, so it's worth holding out if poss.

Otherwise as Shay said, either all boots or all shoes, I wouldn't mix n' match :p.