Shoes off

Copperpot

Visit site
Horse has had hinds off for a few months no problems. Today my farrier suggested taking his fronts off. He said it will be good for his feet to have a break from shoes and to see how he goes. He advised that as he's not been worked much lately and I will only be waking on the road, horse will be fine.

My question is how long is ok to start with? 15 mins and build from there? He lives out and they are fairly active in the field, so has some residual fitness. I don't want to do too much to start with and make him sore.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I started off taking may mare out for a short potter down the lane in-hand. She was comfortable on smooth tarmac straight away, but it was reassuring for me that I took it extra slowly. After a few times in-hand I rode her the same short distance that was no trouble for her in-hand and she was fine. I would think that 15 mins would be fine, if he's very uncomfortable after a few paces, you can always go back. Building up the distance slowly is good, because it gives the hooves a chance to respond to the new demands on them. Also introduce trot gradually.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
It depends on how comfortable the horse is. If no underlying issues I think 15 min to start will be fine and see how he is :).

Copperpot

Visit site
I will start with that today then. I think I will walk him in hand at first so i can have a good look at what he's doing. He's already on low sugar and starch diet so hopefully all ok. Soon he will start spending 12 hours with hay in a woodchip paddock over night to limit his grass intake.

He has large side bone in both front feet and previous owners said he need pads on hard ground. Farrier and I had been using equipak. But he feels maybe no shoes is a better option.

I think I will spend at least a month walking ridden. I don't want to make him uncomfortable.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Mine started with just 100 yards in hand, but it built up pretty quickly. I just listened to how he felt, and he is a LOT better in hand than ridden, but then I do weigh a considerably higher weight than I did 3 years ago!

Copperpot

Visit site
I have just lost almost a stone so I am hoping he will appreciate the lack of crisps and chocolate 😝

He looks to be moving lovely in the field when they all had a blast this morning. I am going to put some gravel down so he has field, woodchip and that to walk on.

He was the only one who had shoes on. The other 3 have none but 2 are retired and 1 came to me without shoes.

Interestingly my big retired boy who always had terrible feet, constantly pulling shoes off now has tough feet. They have also grown an odd shape to compensate for his many issues! I'm hoping the same will happen for Frolic.