Shoes on Thoroughbred

Katareya2006

Visit site
Hi Guys,

I imported a successful retired TB into Thailand from Australia and it did the Splits on its hind legs on its 3rd voyage. Not to much damage I hope and I'm treating it with Antibiotics and Anti inflammatories (Wounds on flanks). However, it clearly "Split" because of the road surface I believe where I was at the time and I am considering taking the shoes off.....I am an experienced rider and have a Thai Mixed Horse too which has no shoes on........Your views please ?

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
There are definitely some road surfaces that are extremely slippy for shod horses. I really hope that your horse recovers fully. :)

I had an unshod thoroughbred who was sound and not foot sore over a variety of surfaces so it definitely is possible. :)

There are also lots of other people on the forum who have unshod/barefoot horses and have transitioned horses to being comfortable without shoes even when they have been shod for many years. It would be worth posting a thread in the vet and hoof section of the forum. It is busier than here so more people will read it. https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/veterinary-and-hoof-care.62/

PS. Welcome to the forum. :D

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Hi Katareya.

I've had several barefoot TBs in the past and there are now lots of boots available if they aren't quite happy but you don't want to shoe.

paddi22

Visit site
yep I've two barefoot tbs now and I just boot up for certain tracks if they are stony. they have much better grip on the road than when they were shod

Katareya2006

Visit site
Thanks for the replys. I do live in a very remote part of Thailand. But have access to things so I will look into the boots idea for sure....It was a very successful Australian Group 1 Winner. I have retrained her myself. A dream temperament.....It would be a real shame to lose her so I will do as advised.