Shoppers - new hi viz

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Some of my hi viz is faded now. Any suggestions for what I should buy to replace my old stuff? Are there any new designs or items that are useful to have? Thanks. :)

MuddyMonster

Visit site
It depends where you hack, I think.

Most of mine is pink based as I hack a lot on woodland and forests so yellow just doesn't stand out in the summer. I do have a yellow winter exercise sheet which is fine at that time of year though.

For a lightweight option in the summer instead of a quarter sheet, I really rate my Parson's Rump.

I really rate running or cycling tops for myself as they are more lightweight than tabard in the summer. I get mine from Sports Direct, Decathalon or Ebay.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Where I used to live there was lots of fields with oil seed rape, so I bought a pink tabard to contrast with that. Here is more of a livestock area as it's too hilly for arable, so no yellow fields. We do have helicopters that fly down the valley (and they fly low :() so I want to be very visible.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
A rather dodgy pic (but the best one I have) showing my grey in her old kit of a pink sheet and a yellow tabard. I'm thinking about adding a hi viz martingale/neckband type thing too.

Attachments

• Floss hacking.jpg
    Floss hacking.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 15

chaps89

Visit site
V-bandz all the way.
I have several of their items, some bought recently, some approaching 10 years old, all well used and all come up like new. I’ve tried other brands and they’ve looked very tatty or faded very quickly.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
That's exactly why I would want one - I hate getting wet, cold knees. :( I usually wear a long coat but having a riding skirt would open up other options. I wonder if anyone on here has one and can give us a review? :)

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
That's exactly why I would want one - I hate getting wet, cold knees. :( I usually wear a long coat but having a riding skirt would open up other options. I wonder if anyone on here has one and can give us a review? :)

Don't have that specific riding skirt, but received an ordinary quilted riding skirt from Hööks in Christmas present 2020, to help keep my knees, and thighs, warm when I'm out on my Broom (box trike) in Winter/cold weather.

I love it!

No more coming home with cold knees, and red thighs. Even though it's not made for being used by someone bicycling, it only happened maybe two, three times that I had to adjust it a little bit, to stop a minor gap from being opened up by the wind, or my leg movements. I now consider a riding skirt an essential part of the equipment needed for comfortably being able to bicycle all the year around.

So if your knees get cold/wet when out riding, I definitely think you should try getting yourself a riding skirt, with or without hi-viz.

ETA My riding skirt: https://www.hookseurope.com/rider/l...hes/quilted-cover-up-skirt-carisma-crw-ladies

I know, it's black, the opposite of hi-viz. But if you're otherwise covered in hi-viz, maybe keeping the knees warm, and comfy is worth a bit of non hi-viz clothing. Or if you're handy, perhaps you could add some strips of reflective or hi-viz material.

Last edited:

Renvers

Visit site
Don't have that specific riding skirt, but received an ordinary quilted riding skirt from Hööks in Christmas present 2020, to help keep my knees, and thighs, warm when I'm out on my Broom (box trike) in Winter/cold weather.

I love it!

No more coming home with cold knees, and red thighs. Even though it's not made for being used by someone bicycling, it only happened maybe two, three times that I had to adjust it a little bit, to stop a minor gap from being opened up by the wind, or my leg movements. I now consider a riding skirt an essential part of the equipment needed for comfortably being able to bicycle all the year around.

Thanks, and I hadn't even thought of using it on my bike too. That makes it even more of a worthwhile investment :D

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I’m a cheap skate and just buy builders hi viz vests! Usually only a couple of quid.

I have done that previously but it was a revelation when I got my pink tabard with a pocket (which was an old v-bandz one back from when they were black or purple mesh with yellow or pink hi viz and the hat bands were neoprene). I then had an equisafety one - which is now faded terribly - and that also had pockets. I guess I should work out how to sew a pocket in a cheap hi viz tabard but it is easier to just buy one with a pocket. ;)