Shopping help/Clipper Expertise please! (combs/blades)

Suncat

Visit site
Hi all,

I have a older EMS horse, who throws a thick coat and is shedding it slowly. His summer coat is coming but he's itchy and rubbing himself so I'm seriously considering a late clip (he's got an Irish clip from the winter) to make him comfy. But I'd like to take the weight/length out of his coat but ideally not clip as close as normal, if that's possible? On my small Wahl clippers (trimmers really) I have clip on comb guides which would let me do this - but can I get these anywhere to fit my big Lister Liveryman clippers? They take a A2 blades. Or is there a type of blade that lets me clip to a longer hair length?
I can see various comb sets, but haven't found anything for equine clippers/A2?

Or am worrying unduly about his summer coat and should just clip? I know it will grow back! ;)

All advice and pointers gratefully accepted!

Firefly9410

Visit site
I have never seen anyone use clipper comb guards on a horse. You cam get cattle blades or coarse blades they will leave a little hair on.

emfen1305

Visit site
Covercote blades - they leave 5mm hair which is a normal summer coat and fit lister clippers, i clip all year round with them as my cob gets itchy with too much hair! :)