Shopping help - fly mask

mavandkaz

Visit site
Hoping the HHO collective can help me find an appropriate fly mask, before I waste hours searching the internet.

I need a fly mask for my mini Shetland. She is usually fine but can suffer from weepy eyes every now and again. Usually not a problem but yesterday the flies really went for her resulting in a very sore and swollen eye. I do have a fly mask so popped it on and she was back to normal by the end of the day.
However, she is now in her mid 30s and I'm pretty sure her eyesight is failing her. The only mask I have that fits is black, and it basically blinds her. She gets really jumpy as obviously struggles to see.
So I need a fly mask small enough for a mini Shetland (she wears a foal sized headcollar on the tightest holes) that has clear mesh, and no ears as she has so much mane/forelock.
What can people recommend?

mavandkaz

Visit site

TGM

Visit site
Maxima Equestrian do fly masks for miniature shetlands and they have high visibility white mesh. They do have ears though, although I suppose you could cut them off!

Visit site
https://m.kramer.co.uk/Horse/Fly-Protection/Fly-Masks-Fringes/Fly-Mask-Basic

I bought one of these a few weeks ago for one of my minis and have been that impressed i bought two more for my other two boys. XXS is the perfect size and the mesh is far clearer than any masks ive had before (one of my boys is 30 and his eyesight is off and he has absolutrly no issue seeing in one of these). I have the silver and two of the beige ones. They fit perfectly and are nicely adjustable and they cant get them off.

Edited to add, two of mine have a ridiculous amount of forelock and the kramer masks have a big enough hole so the forelock sits nicely outside the mask.

Visit site
OP, Dinky rugs are good for some things but I definitely dont recommend their fly masks, they are thick mesh and hard to see through and mine destroyed theirs within a couple of wears.

mavandkaz

Visit site
https://m.kramer.co.uk/Horse/Fly-Protection/Fly-Masks-Fringes/Fly-Mask-Basic

I bought one of these a few weeks ago for one of my minis and have been that impressed i bought two more for my other two boys. XXS is the perfect size and the mesh is far clearer than any masks ive had before (one of my boys is 30 and his eyesight is off and he has absolutrly no issue seeing in one of these). I have the silver and two of the beige ones. They fit perfectly and are nicely adjustable and they cant get them off.

Edited to add, two of mine have a ridiculous amount of forelock and the kramer masks have a big enough hole so the forelock sits nicely outside the mask.

Thanks for this, would never have thought Kramer would go small enough.
Although they won't let you place an order for under £25 ☹️

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I only use cashel now the cheaper ones just don't fit very well or last, I actually ordered 2 yesterday they are not cheapest but you end up having to replace the cheaper ones, I have no idea if they shetland size though.

Visit site
OP, the masks at Kramer are only £22.50, so not much to make it up to £25.00. Well worth it as I’ve tried pretty much every other tiny mask on the market and the Kramer ones are the best for tinies. x

Hallo2012

Visit site
KM Elite-the smallest size is super tiny and they do with or without ears and nose and the mesh is cream.

sometimes on mega cheap offer on ebay, ive just got one for £15 and before that was £12.99!

mavandkaz

Visit site
OP, the masks at Kramer are only £22.50, so not much to make it up to £25.00. Well worth it as I’ve tried pretty much every other tiny mask on the market and the Kramer ones are the best for tinies. x
The one I looked at (iced green?) was £14.99.
It's probably only going to be worn for a few days a year

mavandkaz

Visit site
Thanks for all the suggestions.
Vet has just been as although she'd improved there is still some swelling. she has a couple of small ulcers, but vet is worried that there is swelling between the membranes in the eye. So some drops and Bute for now, then reassess on Monday. If it looks like a long term problem then will have to decide between removing the eye of PTS. (She is 35 so am not going to put her through anything really stressful)

Will probably start a new thread on Monday!