Short-term fostering to help rescue centers - does it exist?

muckypony

Visit site
I basically have a load of grazing that I can't keep on top of with my 3 natives and instead of having it topped, I wondered if there was such a thing as fostering from rescue centers? I would basically like 2 or 3 ponies to come and stay for the summer (until October time) and just live out and enjoy the grazing.

I can check them twice daily as I already so with my boys, but I really don't want to be having to pay out for too much more in terms of unexpected vet bills etc (hence why I'm not getting another of my own, which is very tempting!)

Wondered if anyone else has ever done something similar.. Seems a shame to just keep topping the fields!

hibshobby

Visit site
It sounds great, just make sure there will be space back at the rescue centre for when they have to go back - otherwise they will be with you for longer than you thought !

Adopter

Visit site
Blue Cross were looking for short term foster homes, they do longer loans as well. They do like foster homes to be within reasonable travelling distance of one of their centres. It is worth checking where you are located which rehomeing charity would be best for you to approach.

PollyP99

Visit site
^^^this, yes bluecross do this we had one for a few months and he was actually homed from our field, sweet hafflinger who I would happily have kept, watch out for that feeling!!

WandaMare

Visit site
I have often considered doing this as I have too much grazing for mine, but I'm not sure I would be able to send them back, you would have to stay quite detached, I would be completely hopeless!

CazD

Visit site
I have often considered doing this as I have too much grazing for mine, but I'm not sure I would be able to send them back, you would have to stay quite detached, I would be completely hopeless!

Don't do it LOL. I fostered one for "the summer" about 4 years ago - she's still here as I couldn't face giving her back!

muckypony

Visit site
Oh great, thanks everyone, I didn't know this was actually a 'thing'!

Those of you who have done it before, what cost was involved for you?

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Don't do it LOL. I fostered one for "the summer" about 4 years ago - she's still here as I couldn't face giving her back!
Haha, I know how you feel! I found it very hard to hand my first foster pony back. I'm more matter of fact second time round. I've taken great pride in getting her more confident and settled to handle, and dealing with her separation anxiety, but its always been with a view of preparing her for a forever home.

My first foster pony, Lucky Charm, aged 3 in the pic

image.jpg1_zpshfcwl6tc.jpg

My current pony, Salsa, who is rising 2. Lovely natured pony, but was more nervous than Lucky Charm. She's settled in very well and is getting a bit cheeky now.

image.jpg1_zpsvlgzicnq.jpg

They are both run of the mill scrub ponies but both deserved a chance. Its been great fun having them knocking about the place.
Those of you who have done it before, what cost was involved for you?
The RSPCA will pay all vets fees. I am expected to clear any vet call outs with them in advance, barring emergencies, which is fair enough. I pay everything else including feed, farrier, dentist, wormer etc.

Evie91

Visit site
I decided to do this back in Jan this year. Applied to RSPCA (on line) and have heard nothing back (not the first time I've been less than impressed with RSPCA), so assumed they had no need.
If anyone knows of any rehoming centres near Warwickshire, I'm still interested in short/long term fostering. Have an acre and a half paddock with natural shelter, hard standing area with water trough and another half acre paddock (with sycamore so restricted use). I also have stables but ideally would want ponies living out but could be stabled in bad weather. I initially applied and said I'd consider two or three small ponies (Shetlands, Welsh, exmoor, Dartmoor or donks!).
Anyone know of anything locally. Same as OP looking initially for six months over the summer, but could/may extend if happy and arrangement working well!

Adopter

Visit site
I did a short term for a couple of yearlings and ended up keeping them till they were 4 and went back for rehomeing to start thein training to become ridden ponies. It was very rewarding, my first experience of letting them live out with access to stables if they wanted. They had lovely thick with ter coats so did not need rugs. Our family ponies were always competition high maintenence animals so the more relaxed routine was a pleasure.

Blue Cross provided wormers, and annual vet check costs. I paid for food and feet and third party insurance.

Evie91 is Blue Cross at Burford near enough, I phoned up to make an appointment to go and see the ponies and talk to staff, and then took it from there. Paper work was done once I knew I wanted to go ahead.

Just give your nearest centre a call and go and visit before making up your mind, Blue Cross also have regular open afternoons when you can drop in and I think some of the other centres and charities do the same thing.

Last edited: