Short tracking up

beckyprince

New User
Visit site
Hi :) I went to view a KWPN today and I love him, but he is short tracking up on his offside hind. The woman that is selling him has only had him for three weeks (she's selling him on for someone) and she said he's done that since he arrived.

I didn't even notice it was my friend that pointed it out as she was really studying him. I didn't feel it at all when I was riding or anything through the three paces and he jumped on lunge. I felt all over his body and he didn't wince at all in any place.

He's five years old and been in work for six months. Any advice please? Thank you :)

Daytona

Visit site
If you decide to buy him I'd make sure he was 5 stage vetted but to be honest if I'd gone to see him that would be putting me off, I'd not bother to take viewing any further plenty of horses out there.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
He's short tracking up on the offside hind........ there are several ways of saying it but basically you've been to see a lame horse.

There could be any number of things that could be causing this, some are easily fixed & some are not. This is why it's good to take someone with you when you go & view a horse. Your friend was doing the right thing by observing everything & not getting caught up in the excitement of looking for a horse to buy. You owe her a box of chocolates for bringing this to your notice.

If you really like the horse you could tell the seller that you are interested however that you would want the lameness issue sorted out before you'd consider buying him. The seller is wasting their time advertising a horse for sale in this condition because no one will want it like this. I should have thought they would have had it examined & treated before this as they say it's ben like this for at least 3 weeks.

If they take action to treat the horse then go back & view when he's sound, try him & have him vetted thoroughly. If they do nothing about the issue then walk away. There are loads of horses out there for sale & that are sound. Don't buy something with a known issue that you think you can cure because if you can't you've got a real ptoblem.

Good Luck

gunnergundog

Visit site
He's short tracking up on the offside hind........ there are several ways of saying it but basically you've been to see a lame horse.

If they take action to treat the horse then go back & view when he's sound, try him & have him vetted thoroughly.

Good Luck

If you really must, then as above but also insist on a FULL vet disclosure as well as an INDEPENDENT vetting.

However, my first reaction was, and still is, walk away!

Good luck whatever you decide.

Booboos

Visit site

This.

You have viewed a lame horse, sold by someone who is either too dim to notice or too callous to care.

It could be caused by a million things. For example, if he is worse on a surface it could be a ligament injury, if he is worse on the hard it could be a tendon injury, etc. The horse needs to see a vet, get a diagnosis, treatment, come sound and then be vetted by you if you are still interested in buying it.